D2X for NPS Only in the USA?

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by jfenton, Feb 25, 2005.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    At the beginning of the week (last weekend actually), I received a call that I could pick up my D2X TODAY.

Wednesday afternoon I received a call that Nikon had decreed that all D2X units in the states had to go to nobody other than NPS members until all of their orders were filled. My local dealers (2 of them)...both of whom are large Nikon dealers received notifications that they were getting ONE UNIT EACH and that there was no other information as to when more cameras might be available. People in other parts of the world are picking their cameras up today?

What's up with this?

Not that my D2H won't shoot incredible pictures until I get the D2X......

2. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    The short answer, decision of Nikon USA, who seems to make the rules we play by. Then they wonder why there is such a demand for grey!

3. joecolson

joecolson

Jan 28, 2005
    Cary, NC
    Jim,

I got the same b___s___ line from my local dealer. It's killing the small local camera shops because their potential business is going to the large mail order houses. I'd like to buy my camera from the local shop but will buy it from Calument or B&H or Roberts if they offer it to me first. Nikon's marketing and sales strategies leave a lot to be desired.

4. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    I expected as much and have been waiting to play the waiting game. The question now is will we be in it for the long haul (six months or longer) or a better situation of less than six months. What I never understood were the people that said that they had a shoot "next Saturday" (pick a next week time) and had to have it by then. The good news is that I have stopped drooling on the keyboard.

5. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Are there any bridges near B&H for trolls to live there? That fire looks so suspicious...

6. Same with me. I bought the D2H instead of plunking down $2000 to get near the top of the list. After the first delay I figured no one would know when they'll start to be generally available. My target is 1 October; I anticipate a price reduction by then once newer modelas are announced and C---n counters with their new competition.

I'm into Nikon glass, heavy, so there's no turning back.

Rich

7. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Iliah- I would think plenty of bridges and trolls nearby. But at least the good news is that B&H was not affected by the fire last Thursday. It did kick in a lot of pucker factors though.

Rich- What model did you move from to the D2H? I'm sitting on a great D1X and the the D2H was not a logicial move for me even though it would be nice to have one as a spare.

8. joecolson

joecolson

Jan 28, 2005
    Cary, NC
    I have a deeper concern about Nikon that I dare not air in DPR for fear of being stoned. Since I am a loyal Nikon user and heavily invested in Nikon gear I feel it's OK to voice my opinion in this more friendly forum.

My premise is that digital photography and digital cameras are now full fledged parts of the consumer products industry. The players that invented the category (Sony for example) are now joined by consumer products companies who are nimble afoot at introducing new products and rapidly growing market share.

Nikon is not a consumer products company. It is not accustomed to being in an industry where new product announcements are expected every six months. It is not diversified to the extent that other consumer products companies are, i.e., it cannot spread the cost of R&D over many applications, hence the demise of the LBCAST sensor. Canon is a consumer products company. It sells through consumer products channels, it introduces new products rapidly (and makes them almost universally available on the announced availability date), it obsoletes its own products (a necessary part of that business), and perhaps most importantly, it amortizes its R&D expenses over many products and product categories. In the "good old days" the guts of a Nikon camera were dominated by mechanical parts, precisely designed and constructed like a Rolex watch. Today the internals are dominated by DSP and sensor chips. To extend the analogy, look at what has happened in the watch industry since it became a digital electronics business. Where did Sieko come from? Where did Bulova go?

I believe Nikon cannot survive in its current form in the broad digital photography category for the long haul. It is doomed to become a niche player in that business at its current course and speed. Nikon needs a partner. A partner that is a strong player in consumer products/consumer electronics. Pick one - Sony, Samsung (Korean and not likely to merge with a Japanese company), Fujitsu ... With such a partner it can compete head-to-head with the likes of Canon, Kodak and Sony. Without such a partner it will continue to be one step behind the other players.

I spent 30 years with Bell Labs/AT&T/Lucent and witnessed AT&T/Lucent's attempt to compete in the consumer telephone equipment business (led by Carly Fiorina ironically). We would go to the big consumer electronics shows with artist's drawings of our newest designs. The consumer electronics giants would come to the same shows with working prototypes of their new gear every 6 months. Their new gear was always more function laden than ours and lower priced. We exited that business (selling it to Phillips) after getting our clocks cleaned on a regular basis.

I'm sticking with Nikon and have been a Nikon shooter since 1969 when I finished grad school and could first afford a Nikon FTN or FE (I don't remember which). But I wonder what this industry will look like structurally 10 years from now. Any predictions?

9. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I think that's a very fair assessment Joe and agree with it. I would predict the most likely partner (or possibly buyer) for Nikon would be Sony, but time will tell.

Actually, I'm not sure how independent Nikon is as a company at the moment. In this age of the mulit-national, there's a very good chance Nikon is owned by some other big player. I'm just too lazy to try and figure it out.

The interesting thing is that there are still people who believe that Canon's fast R&D/fast to market method means low quality products. To my mind, that's head in the sand thinking.

Neil

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Joe,

That is certainly one scenario. Like many here, I'm fairly heavily invested in Nikon lenses, so I hope that they remain a vibrant company for the next 10 years, and that they continue to lead in photographic technologies as they have for the last 30 - 40 years.

Only time will tell of course. Here's hoping that there is still a place for the smaller, more technically oriented company.

Regards,

Frank

11. I moved from the D100, which I still own. With my Coolpix 5000 my 7 grandchildren moved so fast by the time the P&S released the shutter I had an image of the top of a head, unfocused. With the D100 much of the time I had an image of the entire child, but it was soft or downright out of focus.

I've related it a couple of times but the deciding incident was the welcome home of my youngest son from an overseas assignment. I shoot RAW and all I could get with the D100 was two quick shots before the buffer filled so I missed a lot of very emotional images. The next day I returned to the store and got the D2H for $1850. I get many many more keepers now.

Rich

13. joecolson

joecolson

Jan 28, 2005
    Cary, NC
    Are you sure about that? If that's true I wonder why they went to Sony for a sensor. Mitsubishi in its many and varied forms has semiconductor development rivaling any in Asia.

You mean like Apple and the iPod and their proprietaty music "standard", or Microsoft's continued expansion of its built-in browser and OS functions or ...
    Welcome to the world of consumer electronics where market share and "blowing out the competition" are discussed in *every* board room.

I agree, but Nikon's slow plodding style can lead to a slow and agonizing death in an industry that moves at light speed.

14. pbenedic

pbenedic

Mar 9, 2005
    I don't even know what NPS stands for...

and I got mine last Thursday!!
    Working with it daily to master the beast.

15. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Rich you had something set wrong on your D100 if all you could get in the buffer was 2 shots. I shoot NEF and get 5 before the buffer fills - not D2H standards, but more than double what you were getting. Suspect you were shooting the infamously poorly named Compressed NEF.

Neil

16. billT

billT Guest

Hi Jim,

I got mine last week from my local dealer and I am not an NPS member. Interesting.

BillT