D2X fresh from Torrance

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Beezle, Apr 30, 2005.

1. I just got my 2X back from Torrance today - having sent it in on 4/21 via overnight shipping.

They returned the favor and shipped it overnight back! I was pleased.

I sent it in primarily to have some hot pixels mapped out - just couldn't bear seeing them in ISO 200+ photos on such an expensive camera. Removing them from each photo was not a big deal of course.

I also asked them to calibrate the focus, which they state they did. The few problems I saw with focus (viewfinder vs. actual image, some front and back focusing) appear to be gone.

I haven't done a lot of af-c with moving subjects (well, my three year old, but they haven't developed the AF that can keep up with those) but I plan on learning how to capture the very common birds of prey I see nearly every day.

I actually never spoke with anyone at Nikon. I just wrote up a letter and sent it on in.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Glad all turned out for you on the XXXXX

Yes that is one expensive camera.

You do well by a camera. Nice stuff you have posted. Glad you came over here and are participating.

Thanks

3. Thanks for the compliment.

It is a very expensive camera, particularly for an amateur such as myself. I compensate by having a more "beer" taste when it comes to things such as the car I drive. ;)

I am even now pleased with the far less expensive D70 that came previously, but I do think the D2X is worth it.

4. That is really a fast turnaround on your camera. Look forward to seeing some of your images.

5. Hrmph, I take what I said back. Used the 70-200 VR today a bit and focusing seems to be off. So I got out the Gitzo 1348 and remote, took a few shots just to be sure and yeah, the focus was off.

Note to self: wait for new models to be sorted out before buying one! Sheesh.

Ah well, back to the D70 again for a while.

6. So you are going to send this one back again ?

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Ed,

That is a real bummer. I'm so sorry. I hope you can get it straightened out soon. :?

8. Yeah, I will send it back, but not before actually talking to them this time.

Perhaps they are still learning how to calibrate this camera?

As irritating as these things can be, I don't take them too personally. Not worth the fuss. I am sure they will make it right eventually.

9. jumbocrab

jumbocrab Guest

You have hot pixels too? Do they appear at ISO 100? My D2X was with me for less than a day when I discovered (by accident) that it has a cluster of hot pixels about 2 pixels by 2 pixels. They appear even at ISO 100. Sent it for exchange and am now waiting for a new one (they ran out of stock).

10. I had two or three scattered around that would begin showing up at ISO 200, getting bright by ISO 800.

Very common thing. All of these cameras have some number of pixels mapped out, which is what Nikon did to get rid of mine.

Your situation sounds worse. I never saw them at ISO 100.

11. JAM

JAM

Apr 30, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Are these hot pixel and focusing issues I read about the luck of the draw (not acceptable in a $5000 camera), or is it prevalent in early build cameras?

Mine is supposed to arrive Wednesday and it seems a shame that I have to put it through QC tests just to assure myself that it works to spec.

A friend of mine bought a $7000 flat screen TV, had it installed, and its been performing without a hitch. These are very complex pieces of electronics too, built in quantities that far exceed camera production, yet they seem to work off the bat and keep on working for many years.

I realize that a modern pro camera is a complex electro-mechanical device, but so is a car these days. My wife's 2004 is said to have 6 computers and just about everything is electronically controlled. Try as we might, we can't find a single defect and are very happy with it.

So what is it about the D2X?

12. I think these cameras are just really complex, bleeding edge examples of state of the art electronics and lots of moving parts.

I don't think it is isolated to the D2X. You can readily find posts to read about problems with other high end DSLRs of every make there is.

It probably has to do with how butted up against the leading edge the camera biz is right now and how stiff the competition is.

Personally, I just hope I live long enough to use a camera with the dynamic range of the human eye, and with a little more detail than we have now. Maybe after that it will settle down a bit.