D2x Goes Head-bangin' (concert pics, dial-up warning)

Discussion in 'People' started by JeffKohn, Sep 30, 2005.

1. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    OK so I did a quick search and it looks like most people post concert pics here or in the PJ forum, I guess these fit here.

Weekend before last we took our annual trip to Atlanta for ProgPower USA, a music festival featuring heavy metal bands, most of whom are from Europe and don't get to tour the US much if at all. There are 10 bands over 2 days, with a "pre-party" the night before featuring several unsigned bands. I didn't take any pictures at the pre-show but did get pictures from all 10 bands at the main event. Here's a selection of shots, the rest can be seen in the gallery here. As always, comments/feedback/suggestions appreciated.

Click on an image to view the PBase page will full shooting info.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

2. Hi Jeff,

Outstanding photos! Which lens did you use and how high did you go with the iso?

Very nice work, thanks for sharing.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Man that must have been a wild time..

Good shots...good job.

4. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Thanks Ty and Gale.

First night I was using the 85 1.4 and 50 1.4, shooting shutter-priority at 1/80s and ISO 800 with center-weighted metering. Most shots ended up being at f/1.4, although some were in the f/1.8-2.2 range. On the second night I also experimented a bit with the 70-200vr at ISO-1600; while the flexibility of the zoom is nice the ISO-1600 performance of the D2x was pretty disappointing, at least in these lighting conditions. The fast primes definitely produced the best results overall. If you want shooting info for a specific shot just click the image and the PBase page will give you full EXIF and lens info.

5. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Jeff I like these a lot,you captured their expressions very well

6. Simon

Simon

Apr 30, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Baby - you GOT IT !

Excellent collection of images - these have alot of power and each tells it's own "story"

Editors must love you mate . . . . I hope you earned good money for these.

7. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Hans, TKO, and Simon, thanks very much for the kind words.

That's so nice to hear. Looking at the images I can't help to associate them with the fun I had being there, but if I've managed to convey even a bit of the energy/fun of that experience then I consider these a success.

I wish, I was just shooting for my own enjoyment; nobody paid me to take these (didn't even have a press pass, was just shooting from general admission). I do hope to maybe use some of these as an "in" to get credentials for next year though.