D2X Green cast on images shot at sunrise /sunset golden light?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Desert Rat, Nov 2, 2005.

1. I have been having a problem lately with my D2X. When shooting usually at sunrise and sunset I get a green overall cast on my images.. Even ehwn viewing them on Nikon View.

has anyone else had this problem?

I dropped the camera off at Nikon on Monday and hope to get it back by Friday to check it out.

I know I can correct out the green color when the RAW images are converted, but I don't think I should have to deal with that on every image.

Thanks for your comments

Eric the Desert Rat...

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    What White Balance are you using in-camera? Hopefully not Auto, because AWB will detect the strong color cast in the light and try to neutralize it, which will give you less than optimal results (after all the whole point of shooting in the "golden hour" is because of the warmth/character of the light). Try using a WB of Daylight/Sunny or even Cloudy to really bring out the warmth in the sunset/sunrise.

4. Well I tried using AWB and direct sunlight white balances... and still got green.. sometimes when I used cloudy I would get a strong red color cast on the images...

Sent it in to Nikon and waiting.. Will give them a call tomorrow and see the status...

=-====================================

5. nfoto

nfoto Guest

You'd expect greenish sunsets after a major volcano eruption. Otherwise, without the volcano, the predominant colour hues should be orange and reddish :biggrin:

On a more serious note, the D2X should handle this fine even with AWB turned on. At least my D2X cameras handle sunsets with ease.

We are talking total colour cast here and not greenish flare caused by the lens? Just asking to ensure this isn't the case.

6. I've never seen a green or red cast in my shots. I often leave my camera set in AWB and again have never seen any ill effects. Be curious to hear an update on this issue with your camera.

7. nope not a greenish color from the lens, but the overall images had a pretty green tint to them.. I can see about posting a shot.. Problem is they were sll shot in RAW mode and are kind of large...

Anywhere I can post a RAW file for others to download and look at?

Some are 10-19.3MB in size...

8. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

9. Just made a call to Nikon and the camera is ready and they said they could not find anything wrong with it.. Everything is within specs...

Did a general check and clean...

10. I would call that good news! I expect paul will have some valuable suggestions once he reviews the samples.
    Mine is an early model (recieved march 4th, ordered in January.) and I have no complaints so far. never say never but so far all is well. I will look at thes when I get to my machine at home.
    Dave

11. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Downloaded _DSC3000.NEF and there is absolutely NO green tint on this at all. I see from the EXIF that you have set the camera to Auto WB and it evidently has given a perfect colour balance. I'm looking on the image opened in BibblePro 4.4c on a dual-monitor Win2K system with LaCie 20" monitors (colour-calibrated and profiled).

Evidently this is an early morning shot and the warm slightly yellowish tint is perfectly normal (snow, bare rock face). I've checked RGB values in shadows, on the snow, and the sky. All are as expected.

My observations for what they are worth.

12. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    I downloaded 2699. I processed the raw file with PSCS2 and ACR3.2, Nikon Capture 4.2.1, and Bibble Pro 4.4 using a Dual G5 Mac and viewing on a Mac 20" wide flat screen. I did not see any green cast in any of the three. The image appears to be a normal sunrise/sunset with nice light.

13. When i view the images at home and on my laptop both calibrated with Colorvision Spyder and even before they were calibrated some of the RAW images while viewing in Nikon View appeared to have a greenish cast to them as RAW files BEFORE they were converted...

14. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Hue

Did you check the Hue setting?

15. Hue is set to zero...

never adjusted it before...

16. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Downloaded two more, _DSC0702.NEf and _DSC_0743.NEF. Same result as before, with _DSC3000.NEF. There is absolutely NO green cast to these images, just warm light.

In my opinion, you need to improve the colour workflow in your system. You have a bias here which leads you into drawing a false conclusion.

No wonder Nikon stated the camera was "within spec". The images bear this out.