D2x Handheld?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by jklofft, Dec 30, 2005.

1. My family and I went up to check on our summer place in Maine this week and I took this grab shot of the Salt Pond. I didn’t have my tripod, but I liked the scene and fired off about 5 frames. Who says that you can’t handhold a D2x.

2. nfoto

nfoto Guest

On the contrary, the weight of the D2X in conjunction with its vibration-free shutter and smooth release makes it one of the best cameras to be used hand-held.

3. I agree, but there's been so much talk about needing a really solid base. BTW, a bit late for you isn't it?

4. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Doing a review [D200] takes its toll. Long hours are the rule rather than the exception :biggrin:

5. I saw the photo of the D200 in the snow. Very through. Thanks for all your efforts.

6. Nice image, I like...I do agree with Bjorn on the D2X handheld, probably would work better for some than a cheapo tripod setup ;)

7. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Count me as a D2X 100% hand-held shooter. Wonderful balance with 70-200VR 2.8. Also excellent with 17-55 f2.8 & 28-70 f2.8.

I sold an old tripod, intending to order a new Gitzo, but the results of hand holding the x are so steady, with less to pack around and more spontaneous shooting, I keep putting the tripod off...:cool:

8. marc

marc Guest

:cool: there was some comments, when d2x was released that it should be best used on a tripod.

these comments, took on a life of there own, before you knew it, the d2x not only had to be tripod mounted, but if you did not use MLU, you would never get a sharp photo.

now with the introduction of d200, this issue has resurfaced, it was further pontificated by someone who stated unequivocally, you must tripod shoot and MLU, if you want sharp photos.

it is unfortunate, that this kind of inaccurate info, just fans the flames of so many, who buy expensive dslr, and believe they will produce perfect shoto after shot.

i for one find using a tripod for any lens smaller than 200mm, to be very limiting
    of course, if shooting at low speed 1/20 or slower, then tripod is needed.

again just my thoughts

[​IMG]

happy new year, to all

9. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    I agree
    A heavier camera actually helps me hold it steadier than a ultra light.

10. RForshey

RForshey Guest

For my professional shots (landscapes) I use a tripod almost 100% of the time, but I typically am shooting at F11-F22 and the shutter speeds are pretty slow. I do shoot hand held a lot though for my personal stuff. I totally agree with everyone else that the weight makes it very steady..

11. Absolutely. I'm not saying that you never need a tripod, just that it isn't a requirement as some suggested with both the D2x and D200.

12. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Most of my shooting is handheld in poor light while trying to capture moments in my childrens life. It did take me a while before I could instinctively shoot the D2x at the same shutter speeds as the D70. For me, tripod use is determined by shutter speed and intended print size.

13. maljo

maljo

Nov 8, 2005
    California
    Tripod = slower, more thoughtful compostion, sharper photos,
    horizontal horizons, better depth of field, most important accessory
    a camera can have.
    My D2X didn't come with a vibration free shutter.

14. I wouldn't disagree, but all I'm saying is it is not 100% necessary. FWIW, I'd say my most important accessory is my mind, but I keep losing that :wink:

15. I use the D2X handheld all the time at airshows...

16. marc

marc Guest

tripods are essential, only after new years eve.

17. Nice work there Jeff and I totally agree. The D2X has really never failed me handholding it. You just have to stay steady as possible and go with it.

18. Thanks.

19. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hey JK

I didn't realize that I had a fellow m*sshole here on Nikon Cafe?

Anyway....I shoot mine (D2X hand held lots of the time when something considerably shorter than the 500 is mounted to it. I have no issues at all.

I shoot it handheld all of the time in the living room when taking shots for my ebay sales and I have no problem as long as I stay above 1/60.

JF