D2X- High ISO Noise Control via In Camera Multiple Exposure

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by shutterbugin, Aug 6, 2007.

1. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I use that method when possible. You can also stack RAW images for post capture exposure control. Here is a link to an old discussion I started.

Actually used the mulit-image setting last night with the S5. Had a nice lightning storm.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Thanks for the pointer. Although I am aware of stacking RAW images in PP I didn't came to the idea to use the camera function for that.
    Does it work with RAW (output)?

3. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    I didn't truly understand what you did then Charles, and I still don't today. If you don't show a "before single image". or for that matter, all 3? Then fully explain the process, it's just viewing the final image from a average person perspective. I didn't get what occured.

Since I shoot raw most, I'd be interested in Daniel's question too...

4. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO

Yes, it works with RAW output as well.

5. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    When shooting a low light scene you either turn up the ISO or shoot long exposures. Both methods increase noise and lower DR. By shooting multiple shots with a shorter exposure time, and stacking in camera or in post you have reduced noise. I prefer to stack RAW in post to get most out of the images.

That xmas image was a combination of techniques. I should have done it in different steps to make it easier to see what was going on. There were many frames shot for that stack. Then I created my HDR images by stacking different image amounts. That allowed me to control the DR of the scene, and reduce noise at the same time.

6. Thanks very much for digging out that thread. Most informative !

Here I tried "In Camera" RAW stacking which is inbuilt on the D2X in the "shooting menu"> Multiple Exposure.

I thought it worked very well and I tried it at H-2 (ISO 3200 equivalent). Sample images on the link in my original post.

Best regards
    ---Krish
    http://krishphoto.com

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  7. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    why not just stack the same shot again and again, seems that would be the best choice of all.. But there must be a step I don't know what it is, to stack, I mean I can duplicate layers, but layers don't combine.

So, how do you stack either in camera or in photoshop?

I am not trying to be difficult here, but if you don't understand something, you keep asking questions til you do understand.

thanks for helping.

8. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    It does work well in the right situtation. I do use in camera from time to time.

9. I could see stacking ISO 100 shots to improve shadow noise. I should try that.

But stacking requires exact registration. I.e., a tripod.

If that's the case, why bother with high ISO?

10. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Noise is random. Take 2 shots back to back of the same scene with the same settings and the noise pattern will still be different. When you stack those 2 images the randomness, is reduced or canceled.

I have never found a good way to stack in photoshop. There is more to it than just layering.

I know the D2x, D200, and the Fuji S5 can do the multiple exposure trick but I'm not sure about others. I think the D80 can but its limited. The Multiple exposure setting wants to know how many captures to combine. If you set it at 4 then the next 4 exposures will be combined into 1.

Lets say you were going to shoot a static scene that required a 5 second exposure at ISO800. You could shoot at least 4, 5 second exposures at ISO100 and stack them simply by using the in camera multiple exposure setting. I say at least 4 because a correct exposure at ISO100 is not the same at 800. Different dynamic range and signal to noise ratio.

I learned about image stacking by researching astrophotography. Here is one that I found or you can search for astrophotography and image stacking and find many.
    Your not being difficult at all. Keep asking questions and I will keep trying to answer them.:smile:

11. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    This also increase DR since you are reducing the signal to noise ratio as well.

Yes, or steady hands and a fast shutter.:wink:

If the scene is static I wouldn't use high ISO or long exposures.

12. I hope the signal to noise ratio increases as well. :wink:

13. I hadn't realised how easy multiple exposure was in the D2X. Having tried it I'm itching to go out and try some long exposure water shots. 8 shots at 100iso gives 12iso equivalent and avoids the use of a 3 stop ND filter and reduces the noise to nothing into the bargain.

14. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Indeed. Thanks for catching that.:wink:

15. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    thanks Charles, did I miss a class? What is DR? Just in case it's on the mid term...

16. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Sorry...
    DR = dynamic range

17. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    oh, sorry, I should have thought of that one.

18. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    No problem Doug. Do you have a firm grasp of stacking and its benefits?

19. Just to to be clear for my understanding for "Multiple Exposure" method above:-

5 numbers of 5 Sec Exposures each at ISO 800 with AUTO GAIN - ON

or

4 Numbers of 5 second Exposures each at ISO 100 with AUTO GAIN - OFF ?

I think with Auto Gain OFF, the data is simply added is my understanding. Hence it is important to use an exposure where the summation of the data will not over expose the shot.

Best Regards
    ----Krish
    http://krishphoto.com