D2X Info and Settings

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by sbuttrick, May 16, 2005.

1. Hi Folks,

I found this site and wanted to let everyone know about it. There is a bunch of interesting info here and a D2x settings page.
    You can check it out here: http://www.michaelschwarz.com/digital/

Regards,

Scott

2. William

William Guest

Gracias!

Very useful reference material for me, especially regarding suggested D2X settings as starting points...

3. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Scott and David,

THis information would be great if you'd also post it up in the 'D2X Settings' Sticky thread on the top of this category.

That's the kind of information that's needed up there too. Very helpful.

Thanks,

Gaye

4. Good idea Gaye.....done

5. Yep. Done on my part, too.

Thanks, Gaye.

Best wishes,

David

6. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Thanks, Scott and David,

Now folks on the forum will benefit from both of the 'settings' posts.

By the way, your info is very helpful to me. As soon as my printer is running I"ll make that spreadsheet and get to work with settings..

Best to you,
    Gaye

7. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    What is this AF-C = FPS + AF, or FPS setting?

Can someone explain what this AF-c FPS + AF, or FPS means?

8. Re: What is this AF-C = FPS + AF, or FPS setting?

Hi Steve,

I'll take a crack at answering this.

When shooting in continuous-servo autofocus (AF-C), the camera has to know how "conservative" to be about attaining focus lock before the shutter can be released, particularly when the shooting mode is continuous (CH or CL).

By default, the menu choice for a1 (AF-C priority) is "FPS rate", which means that, although the camera is always trying to attain AF, the shutter can be released immediately whenever the shutter release button is pressed, whether focus lock has been attained or not. This is release priority, which is the least conservative option. ("FPS" by the way indicates frames per second, which alludes to the fact that in CH or CL several shutter releases will occur when the shutter release button is pressed.)

The most conservative setting for AF-C is the third menu option for a1 -- "Focus". This indicates focus priority. The shutter cannot be released unless focus lock has been attained. If you're shooting in CH or CL mode, this setting obviously may have an impact on how many frames per second the camera will shoot, since it must wait for focus lock before each release.

The second AF-C menu choice, "FPS + AF", is a compromise between the other two. It allows the shutter to release without focus lock being attained, *but* in CH or CL it slows the maximum frames per second in conditions where AF is more difficult (low light or low contrast), thus attempting to return a higher number of in-focus results.

I hope I am correct in my understanding of how these three options work in a1.

Best wishes,

David

9. Re: What is this AF-C = FPS + AF, or FPS setting?

David are you saying that maybe it would be best to use AF-S then to prevent bluring?

Also, this is a dumb question but what is a1? Is one of the banks in the camera?

Which of these settings do you use?

Thank you,

10. Re: What is this AF-C = FPS + AF, or FPS setting?

David are you saying that maybe it would be best to use AF-S then to prevent bluring?

Also, this is a dumb question but what is a1? Is this one of the banks in the camera?

Thank you,

11. Re: What is this AF-C = FPS + AF, or FPS setting?

Also, this is a dumb question but what is a1? Is this one of the banks in the camera?

Thank you,[/quote]

Melissa,

a1 is a setting under the Custom Settings menu.

I don't think it is necessary to use AF-S to avoid out of focus shots. When using AF-C you just must be mindful of its limitations when you have a1 set to release priority (either "FPS" or "FPS + AF" in the a1 settings). If you have a1 set to "Focus", then you will have a high percentage of in-focus results, because the camera won't release the shutter until focus is locked.

Personally, I have a1 set to option 2 -- "FPS + AF".

Best wishes,

David

12. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Perfect explanation David

This is the one item I changed after reading about Michael from Austria's personal D2X settings. Now, I need to tackle the Custom settings! I don't have any of those set up yet. Thanks!