D2X Initial Impressions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RDM3, Sep 25, 2008.

1. RDM3

RDM3

Aug 25, 2005
    Concordville, Pa
    I took the plunge and bought a D2X with about 40,000 shots the clock, paid $1000 from Adorama.

Initial impression, it is well built, like the D2H, few more features, same easy to use menus.

I wish the buffer was more than 20 and I wish it could write faster to the card, I shot cross country today and I had to wait, granted I shot at the high resolution and did not use high speed crop.

Ths shots looked great, the white balance is superior to the D2H, I didn't have to adjust the shutter speed or aperature as often going from shade to bright areas, it was steady. I will post some later today.

Overall I like the D2X, I am looking forward to shooting a few more games, I had some scheduled but the nor'easter coming in on Thursday will wipe out most of the games, I have volleyball though on Friday, which will give me a chance to use flash indoors.

Does the sandisk extreme cards write faster, I usually just get the cheapest CF cards, if they do write faster how much? - UPDATE I did some research and I bought 2 Extreme III 8gb cards from Beach Camera, Paid $158 no shipping and I get a $100 rebate Visa Card.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2008
  2. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    you'll certainly be happier with the new cards! i like my d2h a lot, but will probably soon pick up a d2x like you...

3. RDM3

RDM3

Aug 25, 2005
    Concordville, Pa
    The D2X is sweet, I guess what made me smile the most was the white balance, I used auto and I didn't have to adjust the shutter or aperature much, I lowered the shuttered to 1/320 from 1/500 and that was it, i know with the D2H I would have had to mess with it alot more, I was shooting from a bright area and then to a shaded area.

The cards should help alot, at least that is my hope.

Having the 12.8 MP and the high resolution was great you can see how much nicer the shots turn out. I had the image sharpening on high +2 as I find Nikon is conservative with sharpening.

4. stevo

stevo

Aug 26, 2008
    Wexford, PA
    I really like the D2xs and have been tossing up whether or not to buy one as a backup camera. I'm using the D300, however, like a moth is drawn to a bright light, the D700 and the D3 are really becoming the main attraction. The differences between the D700 and D3 are significant (other than the price here in Australia..) and I find myself leaning towards fattening up the piggy bank to splash out on one. Any comments from the thread ?

Cheers,
    Steve

5. InFocusFoto

InFocusFoto

Aug 1, 2008
    Idaho
    I currently have a D300 also, I really miss the D2XS... I am planning on getting another, The D3 is just a little to much dough for me.