D2X is OK.....I'm hurt....stupid me.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vernon t, Oct 23, 2005.

1. I'm pretty sure I have a broken rib. :Dizzy:
    I haven't been able to take a deep breath for eight hours. Coughing is out of the question. A sneeze might be fatal...or at least...feel as though it should be.
    My camera and 70-200 are fine.

Stupid.Stupid.Stupid.Stupid.Stupid.Stupid.Stupid.Stupid.Stupid.Stupid.

I, about 6 PM heard, a loud metallic scraping noise outside about 100 yards away toward the street.
    It was my son,Travis, pulling an empty beer keg around presumably because he liked the horrific extraordinarily loud noise it made on the pavement. 18 year olds really do not need a reason to do such things. I didn't anyway, at 18.

I went to investigate riding my big wheel bike.(below with my other son, Vernon III).

I instructed my son to go back home and cease making the cacophony.
    The bike(that I was riding and shooting from) is very unstable.

Seconds after the third shot below I did an endo...going over the handlebars.... 185 lbs of me striking the wheel with my right lateral chest wall. I found myself on the pavement with several people and out neighborhood cop standing over me. Finally, after what seemed an eternity, during which time I could not breath or speak i regained my ability to think, breathe, survey body parts and eventually walk I limped home. By now I'd drawn quite a crowd. Declining an EMS call I went home.

Dang I hurt. I can sit. I can't lie down. With great agony I've gotten a bottle of Shiraz open. For you medically knowledgeable...I've got bilateral breath sounds...no pneumothorax.

Amazing thing is I think my camera, D2X and 70-200VR, never touched the ground. Therein may be the problem. I protected my camera at the expense of my own well being.
    It's 2:30 AM. I want to sleep but cannot lie down. I want to cough but can't. Rib fracture related fatalities are often secondary to pneumonia, so I really should try to cough...er...no way.

God, I feel stupid. And, no, I wasn't wearing a helmet.
    Good night.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2005
  2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Oh dear, Vernon. Sorry to learn that you're hurt, though the gears are ok. I hope you just have a bruise and not a fracture.

4. Yeah, thanks.

I tore my intercostal muscles once swinging too-big a bat at a batting cage.
    I broke a rib once 20 years age clowning around(don't ask).

This hurts more than either prior time.

Yes, maybe a bad bruise,but...I was just reading my wilderness emergency medicine book I keep in a travel first aid pack and the fracture description is.... prolonged feeling of "wind knocked out", can't take a deep breath, won't cough...I'm nine hours out and that's me!

Either way treatment is analgesia and supportive but, yes, a fracture takes much longer to heal...2 months the last time.

I've been taking karate lessons with my 13 y/o and have so very mindful of injury concerns there. After I signed up (and paid) I spoke to two personal doc friends who had karate training injuries ... not me...i do something stupid.

Hey, check this link of my bike...it would be a chick magnet were I 19 y/o! Pbase direct linking seems to be down

http://www.pbase.com/vernix/padre_wheelman_friends

original.

5. Don't worry Vernon, I would have done the same thing to save my X and suffer the conseqences. Sorry to hear you got hurt in the process. Hope you are not on call or you will be suffering greatly even more.

Take care and see a doctor and I don't mean yourself.

6. Melissa...you know what I was just thinking.
    I deliver plenty of babies and a frequent question, particularly after c/sections, is " can I go up and down stairs"?

My routine advice is "stairs are fine but don't carry a newborn baby on stairs because if you fall you'll protect the baby at the expense of injuring yourself"
    I did something similar.
    I'll likely go get x-rayed later today. The hospital is a madhouse Saturday nights but Sunday 10 AM will typicaly be quiet. Even as "an insider" it would be a pain to go there now. I deal with stuff with a "coulda' been worse" attitude. I have all my teeth and I'm not looking up at a neurosurgeon. Ribs can hurt like hell but heal. My son has a Crested Butte ski shirt that reads "No guts no glory, bones heal, chicks dig scars"

Good night. i'm going to go sit in the hot tub some more....without the laptop.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2005
  7. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

8. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Aw that is the problem, you just wanted a scar so that the young chicks would be drawn to you like they are with that crazy bike of yours.. :biggrin:

I hope you feel better soon.

9. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I'll bet the can sounded good though.

Sorry for your pain. glad your reflexes worked right and saved the camera!

10. No worries Superman... it will heal... :wink:

...but there are other magnets you can use... :biggrin:

11. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very sorry to hear about your mishap Vernon. Sort of reminds my of my headfirst tumble into the big boulders a few weeks back with the D2H / 300 2.8. I've always thought that this is something that happens to others, but I found out that I'm an 'other'. Looks like you did too. :frown:

I certainly hope you heal quickly. :wink:

12. I hope that it's just a bad bruise Vernon. Keep us posted!

13. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    That image of your son and the beer keg is pretty funny...lol

What they don't think of.

Sure hope you will feel better soon though.
    Take care.
    Not that you have a choice at he moment.
    Quite painful indeed.

:Love:

14. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    So sorry about your rib injury. You do know that your health is THE most important thing in life, and infinitely more important that any dumb piece of machinery. You didn't actually try to save your camera by sacrificing your bidy, did you? So, how did the endo happen?
    btw, I love the parting shot of the prodigal son coming back to the drivevway. That's just priceless!

15. First, hauling around a beer keg behind a riding lawnmower? What a senseless and amusing thing to do! Dang! I miss doing things like that!

I think you did what most of us what have tried to do. PROTECT THE EQUIPMENT! :smile: I always fear such events like you have experienced. I think in no time you will be back in swing and standing on your head again. :smile:

Oh yeah! If you keep those kegs full of beer then they cannot drag them around the neighborhood as easily.

16. sure sorry about the fall and the injury. I know what you mean and I would have likely declind EMS until at least I had time to assess how stupid I really am and how bad do I think I am hurt. The pictures are a hoot and the beach shots of the bike were cool too. hope you are all right.
    Dave

17. RedFox

RedFox Guest

Gee, Vernon, I feel for you and hope you're on the mend soon. I can relate to "saving" your camera at the expense of yourself.

Ten years ago I got on a horse that hadn't been ridden in a long while and was used to being "free range" on the whim of a friend. Before I could get the stirrups adjusted (western saddle) my friend smacked the horse's rump and I was off, out of control. Now I was actually doing a photo shoot that day and there was a film crew around up there at this place outside of Nashville. Off I rocket on this horse and I was really frightened. I'm not a very good rider (at least I wasn't then).

Anyway, the horse decides to dump me and heads for some impossible patch of brush, low limbs and saw briars and I freeze up. Next thing I know he stops dead and I go sailing off over his head and do I worry about getting hurt? NO! I am balled up trying to protect my F-3 and 105 macro from being hurt!! When I landed it was like the world ended for me and the pain was excruciating (see, I told you I feel like you).

Well, I had to be tough because this little girl was riding near me on a gentle pony. So after a few minutes that seemed like forever I managed to get up somehow and told her that when you come off a horse you always have to get back on and ride again or you'll lose your nerve. So I caught the horse and got back on, I don't know how.

After that, we continued the shoot. We were doing the Life and Times of Bill Monroe (Father of Bluegrass Music) for A&E so then I had to crawl into the back of a big 4WD (the back door was broken). Boy that hurt!

A couple days later when I finally got to see an orthopaedist I learned that I'd actually as he put it "broke my back!" Fractured my vertabrae. I was one lucky woman not to be paralyzed or worse (think Christopher Reeve here).

It may be that balling up in that situation was the best thing to do and I actually helped my back by doing it (but I was only thinking about my camera!) But if I weren't worried about my camera I might have done the smart thing and grabbed the saddle horn even though it's a sissy thing to do - and maybe not had that month on strong painkillers, staying in bed being as still as I could....

The things we do for our cameras....
    One lucky woman...MaryE

18. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Ouch!!!

Take care. I've raised four teenage girls--don't you just love it!!!! At least you got some great photos of his prank to blackmail him with later on when he has teenage kids of his own.

By the way, take the broken rib seriously (if that is what it is). My brother in law was in the hospital for four months last year from complications of lung problems that started with a broken rib sustained in a horse riding accident. I know you are a doctor and all, but doctors are human too!

19. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I sympathize. For some reason, protecting your D2X at all costs is some sort of primeval instinct. Moments after getting this shot of the Sydney Harbor bridge, I managed to fall off the sidewalk into the road. Fortunately there was no traffic at the time. As I was going down, all I could think about was saving the camera. I ended up with a bloody knee (which still hurts two months later) and scraped knuckles. But the camera didn't get a scratch :biggrin:

[​IMG]

20. Well glad you did sustain any head injuries, but I know how painful and slow recovering it can be with a rib injury. When the pain is at its worse look at the D2X and lens and maybe you will find a little relief. Get better soon.