D2x- jpeg

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by cwilt, Dec 25, 2005.

1. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Does anyone use jpeg from camera?

I played with it some today and was curious what others opinions were.

2. I used to use them but have now switched to raw (uncompressed) only since CS2 is my main workflow tool. Why are you asking? what would you be trying to accomplish with this?

3. Charles, I shoot jpg with my D2x. Primarily due to concerns of lack of pc processing power. Now that I got a new pc, I plan to convert over to a RAW workflow, but not till after next week when we return from out of town.

I've only shot jpg with my cam since I got it in May, almost 20,000 shots. I've never shot RAW so don't know what I'm missing but I have no complaints with the integrity of the jpg files when post processing. They hold up very well.

4. That's quite amazing to say the least Kevin, in reviewing your pics the past 6 months, interested to see what you can do when you shoot RAW!!! :biggrin:

Merry Christmas Kevin and family :Waldo:

5. Thanks, Keith! Same to you!

You have me intrigued now as to how they can/will improve. Is there that much of a difference? I've gotten to the point where I'm quite happy with the consistency of the shots I'm producing (always room for improvement but my keeper rate is increasing).

6. raw is a whole new world, the possibilities are endless. I would strongly encourage the purchase of the book "Camera Raw with adobe CS2" by Bruce Fraser. Packed with powerful tools for processing and bridges the understanding gap instantly.
    Dave

7. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    D2X JPG settings

Kevin,
    Since you have so much experience with jpg and the X, could you enlighten me on what setting you use (sharpening, etc.). Just curious...

Thanks, Don

8. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Yes. To name some advantages:

Much better ability to retain/recover highlights.

Non-destructive editing while in Raw convertor/editor.

No data loss during saving as NEF or TIFF.

Ability to change/fine-tune WB.

9. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I started shooting RAW about a week after getting a D70 and never looked back. The reason this came to me is because I have not printed beyond 13x19 yet and really wonder if I need RAW for such small images. There have been several pro portrait photographers that have told me they shoot in jpeg/large/fine. None of those shoot with Nikon though.

Just random thoughts from today.:smile:

10. Hi Don,
    As for sharpening, I've left it at the default setting. I always do my sharpening in Photoshop, using USM. Typically, if I'm shooting in HSC mode, I'll do an initial pass at 300-475%, radius up to .8, 0 threshold. This will depend on the shot (i.e., ISO level, how sharp it already is, etc). Then typically for posting here, I'll save for web then reopen the jpg file. Then I do 2 more USM sharpening passes. 1st is 10/20/0 and 2nd is 250/.2/0. Then resave. They aren't always those values but typically very close. I eyeball the shot as I manipulate the image. These settings have worked very well for me.

If I'm not in HSC mode and working with the larger file, I found the initial USM settings are closer to 400-475%/.8-1.0/0. Once saved as jpg, the 2nd and 3rd pass are the same.

Hope this helps.

11. Thanks Dave for the book lead...I'm going to check on it.

12. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I was shooting RAW+JPG with my D70, but I have a 2GB card, and with the D200 the number of RAW shots would be too low, so until I get a bigger card (I also have a 1GB) I'm shooting JPEG (Large/Fine).

I like RAW (NEF) for all the reasons! (And, especially when I screw up and use the wrong WB.) I think RAW is great insurance to recover from mistakes.

13. Am I the only one that views .nef as often overkill??

OK, I'll agree with all that .nef has major advantages.

I, however, will contend that for most non-critical shooting it is overkill and more troubl than it's worth.
    I'm off on vacation at my sis-in-laws and shooting a bunch of point-and-shoot sort of family stuff. People want me to sent them on their way home with shots on CD they can chimp away at on their PC's when they get home and print a few 4x6's or an occassional 8x10.
    Raw, schmaw......why bother? Sure, if I pulled out my strobes and umbrellas I'd shoot raw+jpg-medium and take my UV filter of and yada, yada... and still most non-gear-geeks like me(us) would be thrilled with the .jpg's.

Soooooo........
    Come out of the closet all you .jpg shooters.....I know you are out there.
    Am I the only one that admits to using raw selectively rather than as my staple?

Don't be intimidated by the "real men shoot .raw" contingent. RAW is better in so many ways but overkill for everyday shooting which is what I suspect 98% of DSLR shooters are mostly spending their holidays doing.

With just a little knowhow it is so easy to get smiles from subjects with your expertise....raw perfection is icing when you need it. Most viewers most of the time don't care and can't tell the diff. Sure, wedding and studio and advertising may need raw. The Reuters and AP shooter I know would never bother with the trouble of raw....it's just superfluous for that application.

Heck...I shot a few shots tonight of our family get together in front of a vast stand of trees with a kajillion xmas lights in front of the golf club. I shot at 1/3 f5.6 fith my SB800 at -.6EV and dazzled the three other digicam holders with my results and have already emailed a few downsized shots. I even shot a few of some strangers who came along and just emailed them a shot. It's so much fun to have all these tools. Pick and choose the ones you need, when you need.

Happy holidays.

14. It took me about a month with my D70s to even try a raw shot. Why I do not know? Anyway, I really like raw especially the ability to change WB and other settings and you can change them and revert back to the original that is pretty cool too! Processing large amounts of pics can be a bit tedious though. So I sometimes I use jpeg too! As Vernon mentioned I think sometimes jpeg has its place too! So IMO you have to decide on your subject matter, your audience and whether or not you will have the time to process your shots. It is nice to have options either way.

OT: Dang-I noticed I shot most of my pics today with ISO 800! That one always gets me! I wish ISO was displayed in the viewfinder on D70s. Oh well, one more step of processing I suppose? The pics still came out ok - just a wee bit grainy.

15. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

16. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

AMEN!!
    I come from the shoot it right in the first place camp.
    Sure you need to do a little PP with just about any photo, but to spend all that extra time doing PP for 90% of what I shot would be a huge waste of my time (and would cut into the amount of time I could spend here)
    Do I shot in RAW for somethings? You bet you I do, when I am getting paid for something, I do like that insurance that RAW gives me. But that is only a very small amount of my time.
    2 years ago while at the Mac Group Detroit, Terry White the president of the group and one of the demonstrators that works for Adobe was showing off Photoshop CS and it new shadow/highlight feature and said now wasn't easy? I responded why not take a second and turned the flash on when you take the picture with the backlighting. He laughed and said yeap and put me out of a job...
    A little PP isn't going to hurt your images if you shot it right in the first place.

17. I fully agree that the individual must consider the output and decide. jpegs are fine for many purposes. I try to shoot it right too, and do not shoot raw for the privlige to post process. I like the long term lossless properties of raw and do not wish to be limited to the camera's interpretation. If I am shooting a family function or some quick shots to post on the web only, then jpegs are my choice. If I spend hours trying to get a special shot of a bird or landscape then I choose raw. It is not a matter of manipulation.
    Dave

18. marc

marc Guest

what makes a good photo?

sharpness?
    lighting?
    composition?
    wb?

you can get all of these qualities shooting jpeg.

certainly raw, when you want to be sure it's right, but if you can get 95%, of the above jpeg. works.

happy new year

if i was a professional photographer, doing weddings, etc. then raw for sure, after all the client deserves excellence, not excellent mediocrity!

19. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    That's fine if it's a portrait. Try that when half a canyon is still in shadow, or when you need to lighten the ground yet retain detail in the sky (without grad NDs). One of the lesser touted advantages of RAW is to produce two (or more) images with different effective exposures for subsequent merging in PS. This can save an image in otherwise impossible conditions.