D2X~Late Afternoon Flight Shot Tests

Discussion in 'Birds' started by jfenton, Nov 20, 2005.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Most of the summer birds have migrated out, so I was forced to shoot the only thing I could find.

All shots were with the D2X~500 AFSII

All were shot in AF-C SINGLE AREA...a4 in the menu was set to OFF. Center area was used, not closest subject as my yields dropped immediately upon trying closes subject.

I was fairly pleased with the results, even with shutter speeds as low as 1/160 towards the end at ISO 500.

As the sky color progresses with these shots from blue to yellowish...the time went from 3:15PM until moments before sunset, which was at 4:14PM.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

Attached Files:

2. Jim
    They look very nice to me, glad to hear that you are experiencing improved results, I shot in AF-C with the single area dynamic focus, I think 2nd option from the bottom on the focusing selector and had good luck with that today shooting some flying birds.

3. Jim thanks for posting more details. Your results are great and am glad you are happy now. I really like how the colors change with the time. Is your A3 setting the first or second one without closest to ? For birds I most often use the second one but not sure if the first would be better.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Looks like Nikon has finally got the AF system dialed in on the X. I like shooting Gulls. They are graceful flyers and are excellent practice. I'm especially impressed by the job that you did in the low light. Funny how the colors go toward violet as the sun goes down, huh?

Nice shots all. :smile:

5. radz

radz

Nov 12, 2005
    NewDelhi,India
    Wow very nice shots,details are useful.Dramatic sky colours are interesting.

6. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Mike...

I'm still getting higher yields with single area (first option) vs single area dynamic (second option).

However....I'm not at all convinced that I shouldn't send the camera in for an adjustment or two. If the mirror or af were off just a bit on sensors outside the center, this would account for the dynamic modes not giving me as high of a yield.

Overall, it is definitely working better thankfully :)

7. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    James

These shots on this particular outing were alll shot on the first mode.

8. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hiya frank

Colors always go towards violet at the end of the day this time of year up here in the north.

The good part about shooting gulls inn low light is that you don't need top add anywhere near as much +ev to light them up in low light :)

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Boy you got that right. I usually shoot GBH's about 2/3 stops darker than birds like Cormorants, but I shoot Gulls about another 1/3 stop or so below that. They are very easy to blow in bright sunlight.

Don't know about you, but I'm probably going to be shooting a lot of Gulls over the next few months. :rolleyes:

10. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Frank

With gulls plentiful all winter and most other birds gone, I will now be on a quest for the perfect gull shot :)