1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

d2x memory card door

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by Hawk, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Hawk

Hawk

Jan 14, 2009
    California, USA
    Michael
    The rubber grip on the memory card door on my son's d2x is worn away. Is there a replacement grip available? I have not been able to find anything on the web. It looks like the entire door needs to be replaced. When I called Nikon in El Segundo the lady who gave me the cost estimate (not very helpful at all) said it would cost between $25 and $365 depending on the "impact damage". (Yeah I guess she did not listen when I said the camera was NOT dropped or damaged; that this was just plain wear). And, no, it could not be done while I wait if I bring the camera in even though the job itself might only take a few minutes.

Anyway, the door itself is $42. Has anyone here replaced the door? Is it a complicated job?

2. JMontes

JMontes

Jun 22, 2007
    Edgartown, MA
    The grip in that area sucks. Mine is coming up a bit, I need to glue it back down. I think others here have replaced the grips themselves, and I think they bought them from Nikon. Hopefully there is enough traffic in here for someone to answer your question. If not maybe post it later in the general discussion forum :wink:

3. Mine is just fine after 3+ years---fingers crossed!

4. You can get the grips from Nikon and they're not expensive. It counts as a spare part though so you wont see them advertised as an accessory. In the UK you just call the Nikon 'spare parts' number and they'll send them out (after you pay of course :) . The US should be the same?

Ronnie

5. Hawk

Hawk

Jan 14, 2009
    California, USA
    Michael
    Unfortunately they told me the door grip is not sold separately. The door has to be replaced as a complete unit.

6. nealgrof

nealgrof

Jul 31, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I have the D2H, and I think it's the same door. Mine had peeled back from the right corner down. I got a price from Nikon of about $45.

I didn't want to spend that much on my D2H that rarely sees use. On advice from my local repair guy, I trimmed the rubber (it had stretched) and used "Pliobond" contact cement. My tech said it's only available at Ace Hardware (that's what I found). The container online is too large. Just go to an Ace. I suggest the 3 oz. bottle with the brush in the cap (rather than the tube). It's about $4.

Bottom line: I'm pretty good with this kind of thing, but the result is not ideal. Lots of work cleaning, trimming, cementing in 2 or 3 stages. Somehow the top right corner isn't stuck down.

I'd spend the $45. Two screws and you're through.:cool: 

7. Hawk

Hawk

Jan 14, 2009
    California, USA
    Michael
    Thanks, Neal. I am inclined to replace the door. The only question left is do it ourselves or have it done. If it is really just the two small screws then, no sweat, we do it ourselves. I was concerned if there might be more to it, like little springs or something that might pop loose.

8. Muonic

Muonic

Jun 14, 2006
    Might be able to save a couple of bucks on the door, here. I've never used this company, so I can't vouch for them, though.

9. Hawk

Hawk

Jan 14, 2009
    California, USA
    Michael
    Thank you.

10. nealgrof

nealgrof

Jul 31, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I looked at the picture in the link David provided. There is no hardware on the door, including a latch. It looks like you'll have to port the parts over from yours, meaning both the hinge and the latch. So, four screws and a little bit of finagling.

You know what? I'll try taking mine off now.

11. nealgrof

nealgrof

Jul 31, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Hilarious. I can't get three out of the four screws to budge. Mine is not original (previous owner replaced for same reason), so maybe it was over-tightened. Also, I don't have the best set of jewelers' screwdrivers. I could use a better small Philips. But how much would that cost? More than the labor?:smile:

12. That's crazy. It IS sold seperately in the UK. My friend has done his D2x one several times.

Ronnie

13. Getting the rubber bit from the UK would be more than buying the whole door from Nikon USA.

14. There are other threads here and at FM, Nikonians, Photo.net and others on this. It's a well-known issue. The rubber comes loose over time and stretches so it can't simply be glued back on. Also, Nikon used some special adhesive that is apparently the only way to get the rubber to stick. Every bit has to be removed if you are going to have any chance at reattaching. I tried cleaning it carefully and using contact cement without success. The replacement door is the way to go. IIRC, it cost about $30.

Nikon in El Segundo was NOT helpful when I spoke with them about how to attach a new door and how much it would cost for them to fix it. I tried doing it myself but had trouble getting the screws out because they were apparently installed with Loctite. Nikon service in Melville WAS helpful - I brought them the new door and the camera and they replaced it in 5 minutes, no charge.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2009
  15. Hawk

Hawk

Jan 14, 2009
    California, USA
    Michael
    Thanks for that. It definitely looks like that is the way to go. I have a local service place out in Thousand Oaks ( Pro Camera Repair) that did excellent work for me on an old Leica and the do service Nikon. I am going recommend to my son that he have them do it. They will order the part, call me when it is in and do the job while I wait. A lot different than the response I got from Nikon in El Segundo.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.