D2X Memory Cards

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by dburanich, Apr 30, 2005.

1. I am curious what exeryone is using for memory cards on the D2X. I have a few 4gb microdrives that I used on my D1X but they are a bit slow for the write speed of the D2X. I am hesitant to spend $400+ ea on the sandisk Ultra III but it seems like the fastest out there right now. I have seen some Kingston Pro's out there that are supposed to be 10mb\s read and 9mb\s write speed but in the test results I have seen posted they are not getting these numbers. I prefer to stay with a 4gb card as when using raw + nef I only get 129 shots per card.

2. I am using Sandisk and Lexar 1 GB cards. Both are the latest (III and 80x).

But does the 2X really require this speed? I wonder if the slightly older and much cheaper Ultra II cards, for example, wouldn't be more than fast enough.

I am feeling a need to at move up to at least 2 GB cards.

3. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    The fastest cards on the market are the Extreme III from SanDisk as they support CF V3.0 and the only cameras that support CF V3.0 at the moment are the D2x and the D2hs. Write speeds in the camera are around 9mb a sec. I think there is a review on www.robgalbraith.com in the CF Database.

Hope that helps.

4. I think it really depends on the subject of most of your shots.
    I bought one Extreme 3 to add to my collection of cards. For
    those times when I require a fast write speed. My other cards
    are ultra 2's and micro drives. When I tested the D2X (I have not
    gotten mine yet! hopefully this week!) I used my Ultra 2 and it seemed
    to keep up OK although there was a delay after a series of shots while it
    wrote to the card.

5. Lexar Professional 4GB & 2GB 80x

Never had a problem.

6. hadari

hadari Guest

With the new Nikon bodies you hardly can notice any speed difference between difference CF makers as long as you use known cards. They are I think the faster writting cameras on the cards
    I use Ridata which I get from http://www.powerinnumbers.com.au

7. hoggy

hoggy Guest

Lexar 2gig 40x and lexar 4 gig 80x. No Problems. Not really too much difference between the 40 and 80x. But I guess if you shoot HSC a lot the faster the better. For my needs both of these cards work well.