D2X Owl New Crop

Discussion in 'Birds' started by jfenton, Mar 9, 2005.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    I was trying out a differnt crop....your thoughts?

Here's the original....

And the new crop...

2. With or without the crop......that is a fantastic shot!!! :D :D :D :D

3. Jim -

I like it. Here's why:

1a) I like the picture so much that almost any rendition would be good. :) OK, now more seriously...

1b) Although I normally prefer the traditional "lead the animal into the frame" approach (ie. giving more space to the side of the frame they are moving to), there's really nothing else in the frame but empty sky, which seems to "swallow up" the owl a bit.

2) Maybe it's just me, but the narrower crop draws attention to the head quicker than the wide.

The ONLY concern that I might have with the narrower crop is that it makes the softness of the trailing edge of the wings more noticeable, probably because it is now a greater percentage of the overall picture. Even with that, I like the tighter crop better.

Warning: this opinion is worth every penny you paid for it! :)

4. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hi David...

I trully appreciate the critique. This is one shot that I should have no problems selling and I'm trying to decide how best to present it.

I'm not convinced that there is "softness" in the trailing edges...I think it's more a matter of the transluscency (did I say that) of the white trailing edge with the sun showing through it...

Thanks Again...

Jim Fenton

5. Jim, I have thought about this quite a bit and here is what I would do. Eliminate 1/3 of the blue above the birds head, eliminate 1/3 of the blue behind the bird and then let the aspect ratio dictate how much blue is eliminated ahead of the bird, keeping the horizontal format.

6. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    I hadn't thought of that one GF....I'll give it a try this evening.

I knew I'd get some great input here :)

Jim

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jim,

I like the tighter crop, but if it were me, I'd post the new version in a larger size to take advantage of the crop. Did you not do this because of pixelation or some other reason?

Frank

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Jim,

think I very much like what Gordon said. A tad more room to left. Not much though.

Great Shot and sure you will get more.

Cheers
    Gale

9. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hiya Frank...

I just figured I'd eat up a bit less bandwidth :)

I've printed it 13" x 19" in this vertical crop and I gotta tell ya...it is way more stunning in print than on the screen!

By the way...It's going to be sunny today..the one shot in the next 5 days so I awoke at 4:00 this morning...readied my camera gear...and fired off an e-mail to the boss telling him I was taking 1/2 a personal day. I've got a meeting I can't skip out on this morning but by noon time, I'll be knee deep in snow and freezing my butt off...praying that I can find this bird or its mate again today.

Jim

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Hey Jim,

I'm envious that you are going to get to shoot today, but can't complain really. I've had several very good shooting opportunities in the last couple of weeks. Knock 'em dead.... :p

As far as prints from the X, how do they compare in your opinion, with the H so far?

Regards,

Frank

11. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Jim,
    Your pictures astound me..

I can't pass up your posts when I see your name.

This owl's face and eyes are incredible. He's looking right at you and asking you what you want him to do next. I never thought about a bird turning its head when in flight going another direction. Did you whistle? How did you get it to turn its head toward you?

Good luck today and know you'll come across another creature.

Best to you,
    Gaye

12. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Gaye...

I did in fact whistle...

It was either that or the funny looking hat I was wearing that got his attention :)

Jim