D2X passes the "drop test" :-/

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Steve S, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    OMG!!! I was in the middle of dismounting my D2X from my 200-400 on tripod, to mount my 60 Micro for a studio shot, when, for some reason, I decided to swing the camera rig around the other way on it's axis, cause the camo drape I use for birding was all twisted and it wouldn't sit still, nor could I access the tilt knob cause of all the now bunched up fabric over it. SO, like the dummy I am, I swing the rig around, not reaizing I'D ALREADY PUSHED THE MOUNT/DISMOUNT BUTTON, and BAM, I tell you BAM it went, 5ft down, right onto the ceramic floor! Talk about your heart skipping a beat! As if I haven't been through this sht enough already! Last yr, my 17-35/D2H hit the carpeted basement floor, (needing $400+ in repairs), and more recently, the 28-70/D2H was knocked to the concrete floor, with me tripping over the PC cord! Not AGAIN I said! Thankfully, it was turned off at the time, still works fine after mounting the 60.
    Lesson learned! Think before you leap, and kill $5000 worth of equipment! Man, I am such a Dufus!

2. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Dropping any camera is inevitable. You are always guaranteed the camera will smash into rocks or concrete, never fall onto grass or soft material. This is a law of photography.

My D2X has survived 2 major drops in 2 months. My D2H encountered a direct hit into gravel from 2 m height (when I tripped and fell down a slope) and now carries the impact deeply engraved into its body, but the casing held without splitting and the camera worked perfectly afterwards. My head and body needed a long rest to recover, though.

Thankfully, I haven't gone submerged with any camera since 1999, when I got trapped beneath an ice floe with my F5.

3. I have some empathy for your plight. I was photographing in the hills the other day and backed up to take a photograph. My foot became intangled in some rocks and I fell over backwards (downhill) landing hard on the ground. I don't know how but I managed to protect my D2H but sprained my finger in the process. While it didn't hit the ground it did suffer enough of a jolt that the batteries fell out on the ground. The only harm done was a sore shoulder and hip and of course my injured pride. At 70 years of age you would think I would be smarter than that.

4. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Steve I'm seeing a trend and you NEED TO STOP IT!!! :evil:

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Steve,

You are scaring me to death. :? I'm one of the few dummies that (until recently) mounted and dismounted my D2H without any straps. I've never dropped it, and hope I never do, but now you've gotten me even more paranoid.

After using a strap now for a couple of weeks, I'm thinking about taking it off. Every time I pick up the camera, the dang strap hangs on something. It's almost pulled it out of my hands a couple of times. :shock:

I'm glad that your most recent mishap wasn't more serious. :wink:

Frank

6. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Now that I've read these posts I'm going to be more careful than ever. I'd say you were all very lucky and Bjorn, how did you get out of the ice? Bet that's a story worth sharing.

Gaye

7. Hi Steve,

So sorry to hear about the X.

I'm always one of those people that put the camera around my neck before doing anything to it. I sometimes will sit in a chair or on the floor to change the lenses so that something like what you went through doesn't happen. Even if outside, I sit on the ground with the camera in my lap so it has no where to fall.

Maybe some of these tips will help you in the future.

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Dude.

You need to foam rubber pad your studio! :)

9. Glad to hear everything is still in one piece!! :) :) :) :)

10. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Further explanations for y'all

1st of all, I didn't drop it in the studio, I dropped it in the house ;)
    2nd, I also always put the strap around my neck when handling my camera, without fail, even if I'm just messing around with it for a minute. But, as I said before, I was taking the camera off the 200-400 lens, which was mounted high up on tripod, and needed to spin the rig around so the camo wasn't all twisted. It was so twisted & bunched up, that I couldn't lock down the pan/tilt knobs, which you must do when removing the weight of the camera. Without locking it down 1st, the lens would slam downward, being out of balance. (did that once too)This explains why I didn't have the strap around my neck at the time. At least it's ok, and I learned a valuable lesson... without it actually costing my anything!