D2X = PC Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Tosh, May 10, 2005.

1. Hi all,

I'm considering the jump from a D2H to a D2X.

I have a Dell Pentium 4, 1.8ghz, 1 gb ram memory, 80 gb internal hard drive, and 80 gb external hard rive (which is used for backup).

I find certain operations in Capture and Photoshop 7.0 are already noticeably slow on my D2H files. Will I experience exponentially larger delays processing D2X files? What has your experience been?

Thanks.

Glenn

2. Yes you will, without 2 GB your NC willl swap like crazy to the harddrive. I have tested this and 2 GB seems to be the minimum for opening one NEF file and not swapping.

I also noted you have a 1.8 GHZ Dell. I have one as well it is a Dell 8100 desktop it uses RAMBUS memory a type of memory that has gone out of favor, and is veery expensive. If this is what you have as well I recommend you get a new computer instead of upgrading your old.....

To add to the insult Windows can't use more then 2 GB per process so add ing more then 2 GB will only help just a little bit....

It all adds up to Nikon Capture being a very poorly developed application, with huge memory problems and doesnt even support the offloading to the graphics card processor....

3. I've always avoided Capture because of the problems it creates. Others may say that it more faithfully decodes the info captured by the cameras, and I'm in no position to confirm or dispute that point. But with that said, I think the majority of Nikon users use the Raw converter in PS or other editing software. The first reports I've seen concerning the new 3.1 converter for handling D2X NEF files in PS CS2 are all very favorable (my PS upgrade should arrive this week). Unless my comparisons show CS2 to be unsuitable, I plan on shelving Bibble and Capture in favor of a simpler, faster workflow. For me, upgrading PS seems a simpler and less expensive alternative to redesigning my computer.

That's just my opinion. As the saying goes, "Your mileage may vary."

4. Andreas,

I remember being unpleasantly surprised when I upped my 512mb memory to 1gb. I think this PC may be going to the children if I get the D2X. Hey, that way everybody wins!

Thanks for your insight.

Glenn

5. John,

I am currently a Capture user for my NEFs and am happy with the results I get.

However, I have ordered the Adobe Photoshop CS2 upgrade and maybe I'll give Adobe's raw converter a try. It sure would be nice to remain in a single program for my post-processing work.

Thanks for the input.

Glenn

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

7. Paul,

D-Lighting and Noise Reduction are where I find Capture to be the slowest. I like to toggle back and forth to see the effects of thse adjustments. I find it barely tolerable to do this on my D2H images. As much as I like Capture, if I get a D2X I might force myself to work with CS2's ACR if this will hasten matters.

I look forward to your thoughts on Raw Magick.

Glenn