D2x price is dropping...

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Jeff Mims, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    B&H is listing the D2x at $4399.95. Just a couple of weeks ago, it was $4499.95 (USA). And just a couple of months ago, the price was steady at $4999.95.

Almost like buying a car or PC. Soon as you buy it, the price drops. With that in mind, I still try to buy the best PC or camera I can afford, and that will give me years of service. There's no way to get ahead in the pricing game. You just have to determine what you want, and jump in.:smile:

2. espn

espn

Dec 11, 2005
    Singapore
    Well Jeff, you can look at it this way.

You get the D2X at $4999.95 a couple of months back, by now it'd have depreciated around till $4399.95 too.

That's not the main thing, the main thing is that you would have enjoyed the camera for the period of time it's with you, taken a lot of shots and it would be well spent!

Look on the bright side :)

3. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    All that price watching will do for any kind of electronic device is, will drive you crazy. Don't do it, and don't try to guess at their reasonings, it'll save you hair.

4. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Just an observation. I'm not worried. I've got my D2x, and look forward to years of service.
    A few things I've learned about electronics, be it computers,audio, video or photo;

1. Buy the best you can afford, so you can get years of use out of the product.
    2. Price will always drop.
    3. There will always be a follow-up product that does more, for cheaper.
    4. If you got what you want, don't worry about the next great thing.
    5. You don't buy electronics as an investment, dollar wise.

The important isssue is, I got what I want, it does what I want it to do...and I'm happy with that.

5. What about new cars? Talk about depreciation... try 20% the minute you turn the key.

However you can beat this depreciation by keeping your camera or car for a long time. In the case of the D2x, a camera that among other incredible features can produce a 24 x 36 inch print with stunning clarity, why wouldn't you keep it?

Pros have had to stay on the bleeding edge of technology but it's getting to the point where even that is coming under question. I guess if they start making magazines bigger or something, but the current publishing requirements are met in spades with the X.

Maybe if they come out with a model that produces ful size virtual reality with AI, I'll be tempted but I don't foresee this in my lifetime... or my budget.

Woody

6. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    I agree , Digital has arrived , I plan on keeping my x for along time.

btw , I got mine 8 months ago for $4500. @ Roberts. Ive been very happy.

7. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Just like anything else in the electronics game. early adopters will benefit for longest from the latest technology - and pay the most for it. Guilty as charged :eek:

8. JB

JB

May 27, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Like a laptop, cell phone, iPod, TV, etc, DSLRs are consumer electronics. The technology changes rapidly and the price will drop once the initial demand is filled.

You can buy early and enjoy the camera for many months, or wait until the price drops and save money. :smile:

9. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    I hope I didn't sound like I had buyers remorse. Nothing of the kind. I'm happy with the D2x (still learning about the camera). I expect it will be a camera that serves me well for years.
    Should it drop 2k in price, I'll just buy a 2nd body.:biggrin:

10. espn

espn

Dec 11, 2005
    Singapore
    If it drops 2K, I'd have already snatched one and you can forget about getting it for your 2nd body :biggrin:

11. If it gets to under 3k used, I'm in...great value even at 3.5k...

12. you have to look at camera bodies like electronics (e.g. computers).. they follow Moores law.. every 18 months the technology doubles.... so the price invariably drops.. it is like shooting a moving target..

Glass on the other hand is a stable technology and lenses do better than digital camera bodies.. but with the emergence of VR we may start to see price reductions of non-VR lenses as we see more of it... should i wait to buy a lens too?

13. In a few years.....

At this rate I will be able to afford it in 3 of 4 years.

14. I hope they release a D2Xs, that way all the D2X cameras go on sale and I get a D2X at a reduced price! Hahaha!