D2X problems resolved?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Jeff Mims, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    I've been interested in the DX2 for sometime now. (Yes I have a D200 on preorder). I've read about many issues that the DX2 had when it was first released. I've also read many of these issues have been resolved, thru firmware, warranty repair and so on. For this reason, I'm a little bit wary of buying the D200. (till the possilbe bugs are worked out).
    Back in the 80s, I tried the Maxxum 9000 (first AF)..and had it 2 months, had to go to warranty repair. Second generation body I bought, had to go to the shop..warranty repair.
    Never..never..had a problem with any Nikon MF bodies, or subsequent AF bodies, nor the D70.
    I would like to continue that tradition.:smile:
    I realize...there is no absolute guaranteee that any camera I buy will be 100% defect free or perfect. I would like to know the known bugs are worked out, and that a late model DX2 has better chances of working right out of the box.
    Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2005
  2. nfoto

nfoto Guest

I own several D2X bodies, one of which was the first to be shipped to Europe and is among the first batch ever produced, the others are later models. All of them have been working flawlessly. And they certainly have been put to good use :biggrin: - after all they're just tools of the trade.

Don't believe all the fuss people are making about "issues" - many haven't the slightest clue what they are talking about.

For what's it worth I have used no less than 8 different D2X cameras since November 2004 and all of them have been without problems (the first three were beta models so had not production-level firmware and incomplete noise reduction, otherwise they worked as they should).

3. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I have the same concern with new anything....the first D70 cameras also had some issues. I can wait a few months, or whatever it takes, to see if there will be problems and if there are I can wait for them to be fixed before buying. It's not as though I don't already have a camera that works well enough for the photos I need.

4. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    I would agree. Yet, I did read that there were "some" issues, that were resolved with firmware. In more than a few cases, I understand the problem is the DX2 is an unforgiving camera. This means we can't get by with sloppy technique.
    So in a way, maybe it could be said that the DX2 makes some people better photographers. All the more reason for me to get one.:smile:

5. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    I wasn't aware of D70 issues. What were some of those issues? I never had a problem with my D70, but I just bought it this year, and I suppose all the bugs have been fixed by now.
    While I think highly of Nikon, I'm rethinking my stance on the D200. I may just cancel my preorder, and get one later on. I can get a DX2, or just stay with my D70 for awhile. It's still a very good camera, IMHO.
    Then after D200s are available, and the reviews come in, I'll have a better idea. Though, if I have a DX2 before then...I'll probably wait even longer for a D200.:wink:

6. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Here are three that I have read about:
    - BGLOD (blinking green light of death)
    - Backfocus
    - Internal CF Connector

I don't care if these problems were only a "small percentage" of all the first D70 cameras produced..... I'm glad I waited, and will do the same for the D200.

Now, I have "pre-ordered" the 18-200VR lens, but that's a horse of a different color.....

7. Yes, the D2X had problems, even if Bjorn didn't have the pleasure.

Of course if it didn't, they wouldn't have had to update the firmware, eh?

All cameras have their limitations. If they didn't we could all stop buying them, right? :biggrin:

8. I've had the curse ....

My wife says that I have "the curse of the low serial number":wink:

I have both a D70 and D2x with low serial numbers (D2x is 3 digit). I've not had a problem or concern with either one.

OTH I had a D2h for a short period of time that was not a low serial number and it made two trips to Nikon for repair.

It is a crap shoot that I would not worry about. If something is wrong Nikon will fix it (you'll be w/o the camera for a week or so). If you wait to buy so that the bugs that may or may not be there are ironed out you will be w/o the camera for MONTHS!

Don

9. Does last year's automobile have problems because this year's has improvements? No - It is just progress.

I was happy with my D2x before the firmware update, the update just makes it even nicer.

We are lucky that our cameras can benefit from on the fly upgrades.

Don

10. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I remember getting a new 1977 Chevrolet Camaro and my wife wanted to take it to work the first day. I told her it would be better if I drove it the first couple of days, but she insisted...... She called me to come get her that evening because the battery was dead - a fairly common occurrence with a new car. I said, "Told you so!"

A new anything may have a problem and with a totally new product you could almost bet on it. But, I take my hat off to the fearless for paving the way for the cowards like me.....

11. JB

JB

May 27, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Jeff,

My local retailer has sold 2-3 per week since the D2X was introduced and he has had none returned. Most "issues" you've read about are IMHO "cockpit errors" or pure internet fiction. Read the manual, learn to use the camera, test it out before the "big shoot" and you'll be fine.

BTW - My D2X has been trouble free as well.

12. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  13. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    JB,
    Read the manual? Is this a new trend?

I guess if all else fails, read the instructions!:biggrin:

I know local (amatuer..but good) photographer, who got into AF years ago. He was a Pentax man. He spent weeks studying the manual and the ins and outs of the camera. This was a man who had been a photographer for 35 years. The point is, he learned all about his camera..made good photos, and to my knowledge never had a single problem with his camera. Not one. Hmmm...

So I'm reassured to read your reply. I have a D2X on the way. I will give it a good home, nice place to sleep, but it's going to be doing a LOT of work.:smile:

14. I haven't read all the responses here, but it's opinion that the vast majority of "problems" people experienced with the D2X was a result of the flawed "Test Target" and the hysteria surrounding it.

I tested my D2x with that chart and got different results depending on if the test was placed horizontal or vertical... BUT I NEVER had a focusing issue when I was taking pictures of things other than that target.

My early D2X has been nothing but thrilling from the moment I took it out of the box. Never in my 25 years of photography did I ever dream I could achieve such stunning results.

Funny, I actually bought the x to get me through until the D200 was released but there's no way I'm giving up my x for a truck load of D200s or any other camera for that matter. You want my D2x? Bring a gun... a BIG gun. :wink:

Woody