D2x RAW with PS7?

Discussion in 'Adobe Processing Products' started by D200SLR, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Hi

Recently purchased a IBM X40 laptop primarely for portable storage.
    Because of the limited "muscle" in this laptop, i installed the "old" Photoshop 7.
    BUT! I prefer to shoot RAW, and the application will not show RAW files from my cam. Any codec/plug-in available?
    Did the google/Adobe search, but no cigar (not even close..)

2. scottb

scottb Guest

I think your only option would be to convert the cam's files to DNG, if you really want to use the raw converter that came with PS7.

3. KeithR

KeithR

Jun 21, 2008
    Minnesota
    PS 7 did not come with Camera Raw(ACR). It was a purchased plug in downloaded from Adobe and is no longer available. Since you can no longer get it unless you find a copy, you are stuck upgrading to CSx, but since the computer lacks muscle, you may be SOL. Sorry:frown:

4. This was the answer that i feared and expected, since a lot of searching
    was done without success..

I think i will try the trial version of CS3, just to see if i can live with
    the perfomance.

Thank you for your replies! :smile:

5. Perhaps someone can chime in here with the "real" answer, but speaking in general terms a newer and larger program may not necessarily take more computer "muscle". Yes, it may take up a LOT more room on your hard drive, but it may not tax your computer power any more than the old version when it comes to doing the same job.

When it comes to Photoshop, I can tell that some features, like warping a high rez photo, put a real load on the processor/memory, but I'm not convinced that doing something simple, like a curves adjustment, resizing, levels adjustment, etc, will make your laptop burst into flames if you do it with CS3.

As you suspect, the trial version of CS3 will be a great way to find out. Other tricks, like processing in 8 bit mode can make a world of difference too. I'm a huge fan of processing in 16 bit mode ALL the time, but I was surprised to learn recently that Scott Kelby and his gang of serious PS pros frequently process in 8 bit. Who knew? I gotta rethink my work-flow.

6. And you were right about this. With a RAM upgrade, CS3 actually works ok
    on my laptop. Not exactly quick, but ok!

I kinda knew i was a PS novice, but now i'm sure :smile:
    What is the pros of 16 bit processing, and what's the secret
    about the picture size option?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.