D2X Replacement On The Way

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by sbuttrick, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Hi Folks,

I talked to Cameta today and they received my OOF D2x this morning and shipped me a new one this afternoon. Can't wait to get it. Cross your collective fingers that this one is okee dokee.

Regards,

:p

2. IxLr8

IxLr8 Guest

Good to hear. I really trust those guys, they haven't done me wrong yet.

3. Hey Scott,

Great news.

Here's hoping the replacement is perfect.

Best wishes,

David

4. mattmak

mattmak Guest

2nd time in..

My D2X is in at Nikon for the second time. I really hope my story has a happy ending.. because after hearing people having to send theirs in 2 or 3 times before getting a new body makes me scared that I'll be waiting a while before I get a usable D2X/70-200VR combo...

Let us know how your new one works out!

cheers, Matt

5. Need your opinon. Not a Nikon or store opinon, but a users opinon.

I am on my 2nd D2x. Had one of the very first (never again). Got an (new) exchange about 6 weeks ago.

This one seems to work MUCH better. Still have not tested long zoom on fast moving objects. I will once I get my 70-200mm & TC 1.4 or 1.7.

Back to my question:

Of the 11 focus sensors, 9 work great and 4 are off. The two upper corner ones both FF. The two lower corner ones both BB. (many tests).
    Knowing this I can almost see some advantage to have this feature. Use those sensors when needed for BF or FF situations.

The other concern: My spot meter is 1 stop off. I can correct the problem by adjusting in the menu program. Seem like one shouldn't have to do that with a $5000 camera, but I can live with that if it were my only concern.

I almost feel like not sending in the camera for repair. It might come back worse than the way I sent it in for. Am I crazy???

What would you guys do??

6. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    I don;t own a D2X, but I would certainly send it in.
    It really sucks to have your new $5k tool spend more time in the shop than your hands (and when in your hands it has to be used for quality testing, whata bummer!), but man would I be super po'd if ANY focus sensor was mis aligned.

You might think it's cool to know which sensors FF or BF, until in a total time crunch you are trying to nail some shot of something in flight, and it goes into that sensor and your"keeper" becomes just another OOF shot on the scrap heap.

It would be interesting to know the actual numbers of people with these problems. All over the internet you see "I have 10 friends who have perfect d2x's" or "the people with problems are a small vocal sampling, not representative"or "the people with problems are inexperienced with a high resolution sensor"),

then here, in a community of limited size, I see one, two maybe 10+ people who know what they are doing as photographers, but still have several repairs or replacements on their d2x--- so ***?

Spot meter 1 stop off- this is a new one, but that totally sucks too.

I think you should not only send it in, but your note should specify that this is the second major repair, and further I think Nikon users should investigate the lemon law (I am no lawyer, but I Think with cars, if it needs to be repaired three times for the same thing you can demand a replacement) as a means to demand replacement cameras.

What I think is most disturbing are the hundreds (thousands, perhaps tens of thousands?) of D2X's owned by less skilled photogrtaphers, all who probably have no idea how to check sensors for FF or BF and have mis-aligned cameras resulting in lots of wasted shots.

7. Twig,

You are correct. If I was taking only "staged" shots all the time it would be OK, to have a sensor out of spec. You are 100% right about missing "in fight" shots etc. I also like action shots. I have worked around it so far, but one day a bad sensor could cost me "THE SHOT". It is going back for repair or exhange.......

I also agree there seems to be too many out of spec not to be a concern for Nikon. Like anything, their must be user error, but I think most are camera blame.

I am not a lawyer either but I am in the retail car business and the Lemon Law isn't that easy. Usually out of use for the same repair for 30 days. Cameras might be different.

All cases I have heard about, Nikon has been very good about getting the situation replaced or repaired. it might take a few times, but it does get fixed....