D2X resolution amazes me

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lowlight_junkie, Dec 3, 2005.

1. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    Here is a recent picture I took, it has received a fair amount of PP including a section of cloned and mirrored bank as you can see but if you look at the back there is a red square which is unaltered other than as part of the whole conversion:
    [​IMG]

I was just looking at it at 100% and am amazed at the detail in that square as seen here:
    [​IMG]
    I should also point out a lot of the noise is largly due to the BW conversion and toning.
    No special purpose to the post, just thinking out loud really.​

2. Chaz...where was this picture taken?

I have the X too and the resolution is truly outstanding. It is the best camera I have ever had and the only one I will ever need for a heck of a long time.

Thanks,

3. That is excellent detail in the crop. I also wanted to compliment you on the original image, excellent.

4. First I like the shot. Second, that is pretty cool about the detail!

Are you on a bridge for this shot?

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    That is pretty amazing. I really didn't need to see this (I have two D2H's). :rolleyes:

6. ...which will get you pretty close to one D2X!!!!!!

7. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    Thanks for the compliments I didn't expect them! Yes I was in the middle of a bridge when I took the shot. I was amazed that you can almost make out some TV antenna on the chimney stacks in some of the tiny houses.
    Thanks guys and gals for taking the post as it was intended, just wanted to share my surprise. many other forums may have gotten a much more negative response and after I posted I though "what have I done?"
    Guess this place really is my new digital armchair!

8. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    It's really amazing. Also, a very nice picture in itself!

9. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    Thanks Heiko, you know looking at that crop now its not that far of the resolution of my first sony digital camera's full frame output :)
    Cant remember the model but it was 640x480 at 72dpi with a disk drive :)

10. I'm sure you didn't, Frank. And now that focus tracking has been improved with the latest firmware update (I've seen this a little bit already but hoping to really see it in February) your "camera body lust" will really get out of hand, I'm afraid...

Chaz, the composition is quite nice in this pic. Like Melissa, I'm curious as to where this was taken?

11. Hey, after I got over the amazement of the detail I looked at the shot itself.

Very nice.
    If you don't mind giving out artistic secrets....how did you go about the B&W(duo-tone-like) conversion.
    I find that I like it a lot. Thanks for posting it.

Oh, yeah....the detail.....so nice to have a MF-equivalent to tote around, huh?

12. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I second Vernon's comment, I love the tonality of this image and the duotone effect you've created. Very nice.

13. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    Hi Guys, the picture was taken in the Uk, some small seaside town on the south coast I was passing through but I really cannot remember the name of it sorry. The B+W conversion was a mix of using the channel mixer in B+W then pulling up contrast slightly use the burn tool top and bottom of the image to darken the sky and foreground giving a good framing tomthe center of the image and then using the colour balance sliders to get the copper tones