D2x/SB800/Summer memories

Discussion in 'People' started by pbenedic, May 31, 2005.

1. pbenedic

pbenedic

Mar 9, 2005
    ....Ah, the ice cream truck. Look at the crap they chose. I'd have taken the "double fudge-Oreo Dream bar" (for $2.75). Oh well...

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Really great shot..

I like your choice tooooo....lolol

3. I love the dirt and bruises on their legs. Reminds me of myself and my kids.

Thanks for sharing this.

Brian

4. They are having the best time!! Thanks for sharing!! :D :D :D

5. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    Very cute...

Wonder if the truck had Bomb Pops...loved those when I was a kid!

C

6. Simon

Simon

Apr 30, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Pat,

Great picture - the two boys look like real scallywags.

7. pbenedic

pbenedic

Mar 9, 2005
    Thanks for looking.
    I feel blessed to have what I believe is the best subject matter of all to put my D2x through its paces with ('course I'm a little biased).

BTW--loving these sorts of daylight shots to use this cool "FP/BL" mode. It is awesome for fill in bright light.

8. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Wonderful shots! Yeah, their choices wouldn't be mine, but then I'm a sucker for anything chocolate and kids tend to pick anything that is colored neon! why is that?

9. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Hi Pat--love the picture. I just got the SB800 yesterday. I'm reading the manual to try and get a grasp on what it will do. I don't remember reading about FP/BL. I am using it on the D70. If you have time to explain how you set up the flash I would be most interested.

I am in a bit of a panic. My daughter's best friend is getting married and wants me to take some outdoor engagement pictures of them this weekend. I bought the flash and want to try to get a grasp on how to use it before Saturday. I think I am crazy. :lol: I am doing the pictures for free so they will probably get what they are paying for!!!!

10. pbenedic

pbenedic

Mar 9, 2005
    Sure.
    First off. Check the manuals because I may not be entirely correct, but here is what I did (and I believe d70 will do this exact mode, too).

First, go into the custom setting menu on the D70 and make sure you enable "FP high speed flash synch"--this allows your SB800 to synch (albeit with a little less power than usual) all the way up to your fastest shutter speed. I set mine up to do this mode whenever the shutter will be faster than 1/250th.

THEN, when your SB800 is on-camera and turned on, just scroll with the mode button until you see both FP AND BL.

Goof around a bunch before the big event (I encourage you to also to use histograms after you shoot, then play with compensation on BOTH the camera and the flash to get the balance to your liking in each and every situation).

Once you get the settings turned on, its just a matter of practicing and seeing what looks good. I am amazed at the results that this flash/camera combo can give.

Hope this helps.

11. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Pat--thank you so much. I will practice, practice, practice.

12. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Pat,
    very nice photo.
    Are you using the diffuser on the flash, is it pointed straight at the subjects, or angled up and using the bounce card?
    thanks!

13. pbenedic

pbenedic

Mar 9, 2005
    I do not use the diffuser when in this mode, since its power is already reduced. It is pointed straight ahead. Thanks for looking.