D2x screen images

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by jklofft, Nov 14, 2005.

1. I’ve noticed that my D2x images look as good or better in print then the ones taken with my D2h, but on my monitor (or posted to the web), the D2h images look crisper. I’ve tried resizing in both NC and PSCS. Have others found this? Is this a function of the increased resolution?

2. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    If you're viewing at 100% on screen, yes the increased resolution is a factor. You're now viewing the Dx2 images at a much larger magnification. For instance on my 20" monitor, viewing a D2x image at 100% is the same as viewing a 48" wide print. Of course viewing an image at that level of scrutiny is going to be much more demanding, things like using top-notch glass, a tripod and MLU definitely make a difference here. Frankly it's amazing that D2x shots look as good as they do at 100%.

3. Actually the situation is a bit different. I start with a NEF file and process it in NC and PSCS so that the final size is somthing like 750x500. In those cases, the screen image from the D2x file looks soft (especially edges) when compared to a similiar image from the D2h.

4. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    What interpolation method are you using for resizing, and are you sharpening afterwards? The D2x image is getting a much more signficant reduction in size, so that may affect image quality more; especially if you don't sharpen after resizing.

If that's not the case I'm not sure what the answer could be. I've not seen any sharpness issues with web-sized JPG's from the D2x compared to the D70.

5. I'm using Capture to do the resizing and PixelGenius to do the output sharpening.

6. rsimms

rsimms

Apr 30, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Question for Jeff

Hey Jeff, how do you determine that 100% on your 20" monitor = a 48" wide print?

7. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    My desktop resolution is 1440x1080, and my monitor's viewable area is a hair under 16" wide.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2005
  8. rsimms

rsimms

Apr 30, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    ok i don't get it

is there some formula i can use to determine that? My desktop is 1900 x 1200 and 17" viewable. So how would i determine what a 100% image from my D2x would be?

9. rsimms

rsimms

Apr 30, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    never mind i got it... i think.
    for the D2x 4288 / 1900 = 2.5 so I just multiply that by the horizontal size of my monitor. In my case 19 x 2.5 so 100% is roughly 48".

right?

10. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    That's how I calculated it, Randall. Makes you realize just how picky we're being when we start scrutinizing images at 100%.

11. Hallelujah

You guys are so right.

It's the ease at which we can view "virtual huge prints" this has led to the nonsensical allegations that the D2X is difficult to use or unforgiving.

I wonder how the F3 Velvia prints of just a few years ago would stand up to the scrutiny of 4 or 5 foot prints viewed from 15 inches.

Our new tools are amazing but the ease at which we have become able to hyper-scrutinize their flaws has led us to become unnecessarily intolerant of the imperfections that have always existed.

My very best scans of old transparencies hardly approaches my D2H files and are blown away by my D2X...so I'm rejoicing in the marvel of our equipment.

12. I noticed the same problem when I view the inages at 100% on my 19 inch monitor set to 1280x1024 sometimes they look soft, but when i back off and just view full screen in niokn view they look fine...

On the other hand every now and then I get one of those images when you view it at 100% on the screen you can see every detail and it is extremely sharp. I had a airplane shot I posted in Planes trains and Automobiles and it is really sharp...

Should I be getting images like that all the time from the D2X and my lens lineup or is that just one of those things from using really proper technique?

13. I've noticed those occasional images where I, quite serendipitously, get it "just right:.

They are so striking because they are so very much better than the unaided human eye can do.

I love technology when it works.:smile: