D2X Seagulls~a4 Set To ON

Discussion in 'Birds' started by jfenton, Nov 17, 2005.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Well...I figured I'd give it a try and I had a whole 10 minutes before an appointment to try a handful of shots.

Not displeased, however I wish I'd had the opportunity to try it OF as well.

That's what they make weekends for I suppose :)

By the way...the reason the sky appears as differing shades of blue is due to some distant clouds and the subjects orientation to the sun as well.

original.

original.

original.

original.

2. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Jim,

Superb shots, a nice variety of shots and angles, and you seemed to nail the focus in most shots. Pretty darn good for 10 minutes!

The first one, the eye just grabs you, A shame that the wing highlights meet up with the head and creates a bit of a hotspot, but, even with that ultra minor nit, I wish I had taken this shot. I don't have a good gull shot yet. Bravo, and Wow.

What do you think the major difference would be with On vs Off, not having a D2X, just curious.

Wade

3. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hi Wade

Well......

I'm beginning to listen to some others who have theorized that IF you correctly acquire a lock on the subject, that perhaps the "delay" in a4 allows you to maintain focus without the lens hunting minutely and trying to re-acquire every second that you have it active.

Not sure if I buy this yet, however, it certainly works more reliable after the firmware update than it did prior to it.

4. Jim, could you explain? The shots are perfectly focused.

Paul

5. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hi Paul

While not perfect, they are consistently better than what I was achieving prior to firmware upgrade.

With the original installed factory firmware, a4 (lock on) absolutely killed flight shots on my camera. It was unable to acquire lock on my subject and if a background was present, it would consistently lock the background rather than the subject, no matter how slight or great the subject to background distance was.

When trying to shoot gulls against a blue sky previously, in AF-C single are or single area dynamic, I'd frequently find that it wouldn't lock focus on anything.

Therefore, what I'm now seeing appears to be better. I have to shoot with some clouds in the sky and a background rather than a clear sky, both with a4 set to ON and to OFF for comparison.

6. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi Jim -

Help. I'm confused. As I understand it, with a4 ON, the D2x doesn't refocus instantly when an object passes in front of the subject. (Or when the photographer doesn't track a bird consistently and accurately and aims at the background for an instant.) But you aren't talking about anything passing in front of the gulls. So how does a4 being ON create any "delay"? And if it does cause "delay" and that stops the micro-hunting, why doesn't the gull fly OOF so the lens has to work harder to re-acquire? And I would think that the likelihood of focus switching to the background would be much lower with a4 ON.

Thanks,
    Gordon

7. I'm anxious now to go to the beach and try this out! Your shots are very sharp!

8. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Sharp as a tack, as they say.

I have always shot with A4 set to on.

9. Jim these are very good. How do you have the A1 focus set? The reason I ask is because when I changed mine to focus I had a much harder time acquiring focus than when I had it in the FPS setting. Thanks.

10. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi Jim -

Just checking your terminology vs the manual. Sounds like your "focus" means Nikon's "FPS rate + AF". Correct. I'll be interested in Jim Fenton's answer too.

Gordon

11. Gordon I was using the last setting in A1 the one that just says focus. I have not tried the second setting, the one you describe FPS + AF but plan to this weekend. The more I read the more confused I get. I wish there was a way in the exif information to show me which setting I was in. I have not found a way to do this.

12. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Jim Here Again

A) Whereas a4 set to ON won't cause the camera to immediately refocus if the main subject momentarily goes behind or moves in front of another "thing".....Nikon explained to me that it is like a hesitation. Assuming that this is indeed correct, it would make sense that the camera would less frequently attempt to re-acquire focus lock (one initially achieved) while tracking.

B) These were shot in AF-C, single area dynamic (second one up from the bottom on the selector switch) and focus priority set to FOCUS