D2X sensor cleaning

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by dmwphoto, Jul 8, 2005.

1. While on a photo trip reviewing some sunrise shots that were some what labor intensive to take (arise at 3:30 am, drive 1 hr, set up, work with grad ND filters for the first time, etc) i see a large booger in the sky of my shot RATS!!!! I was able to clone it out in PS of course but I decided that being able to clean my sensor without having to ship the camera off was going to be neccessary. I found the following link, ordered the items and after CAREFUL study of instructions found it extremely easy to do. Worst thing was ordering a 150.00 AC adaptor required for mirror lock up. The results were easliy verifiable and very pleasing. It takes about 5-10 minutes maximum. Only negative for those outside the US is that he cleaner is rated "ORM-D" and can only ship via ground.

http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning
    http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning

2. Thanks for another endorsement of the now-famous "Copperhill" method. It is very popular with posters over at Digital Grin.

See: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=8350

I think I'll have to give it a try. Since Copper Hill is near me, I may be able to save the $10 shipping fee :D !

3. just be sure if you have the D2X that you order the AC adaptor or you will not be able to lock up the mirror. the D70 will let you without an adaptor. some of the canon models warn you and will not lock up the mirror if you have insufficient battery charge.

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Can't you just put on 'bulb' shutter time and hold down the button? The D100 has a cable release socket, so you can lock the shutter open that way.

5. Chris,
    You raise a good question. I do not believe the D2X will let you and if it did it would be rather awkward to accomplish the task. Any brave sould out there wanna try it and post results?

6. If whatever is on your sensor is stuck there, use the swabs but if it's just dust I can heartily endorse the Sensor Brush. I recently had a piece of dust/lint on mine and the brush literally sucked it off the sensor. It's too easy and I didn't even touch the sensor.

I know that the swabs are proven safe, but the Brush is my weapon of choice.

http://www.visibledust.com/index.html

Woody

7. If you use the bulb setting, then the sensor stays charged (it's waiting to take a picture). A charged sensor will attract dust like crazy. When you lock the mirror up using the "cleaning function", the sensor is not charge.
    Hi Dave!

8. Hey Charlie welcome to the group! Since you are the one that taught me this procedure I want to thank you and acknowledge that here.
    if you have not yet done so, go to the new members forum and introduce yourself there too. Lots of great folks here and much good info. It can only get better with you here.
    Dave

9. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hey Charlie, welcome to the Cafe!

The 'charged sensor' thing just is not true though. The sensor does not hold a static charge while it's waiting to take a picture. It is taking a picture while you're holding it on bulb, so you get a nice white shot when you do it like that.

10. ckdamascus

ckdamascus

May 14, 2005
    New Jersey
  11. marc

marc Guest

i do not believe, the sensor is charged, is there definitive proof of this.?
    i believe this is rumor.

nikon, wants you to use the power supply, so that the mirror does not accidently come down.

it is in the literature. they are concerned about damage to sensor
    there is nothing about charged sensors.

12. IMHO and in my experience the dust-magnet charged sensor in nonsense and if it DOES attract dust so what?? The dust introduced with every lens change would jump to it at the next shot anyway. I have no proof, but it's bunk.

Practice with a sensor swab on something besides your camera a few times. Unless you are a klutz the whole sensor swabbing should not take 7 to 10 seconds maximum for each pass. I set my camera to 25 seconds manual and swab away with gentle wild abandon. Methanol free sensor swabs will get most of what air bulbs don't. Puff off the sensor swab and swipe again. I use the little fetal-nose-sucker bulbs we use in L&D(mucous free, ideally). The most that could be on it is what was on your sensor to begin with. A TINY half drop of eclipse is plenty for the recalcitrant tenacious speck.

If you are a klutz pay for the job. Better yet, borrow someones Canon and practice on that :wink: