D2X Settings

This post has been set up at the request of several of the new D2X owners that want a single 'sticky' thread where everyone can post and discuss camera settings.

Enjoy. :wink:

Frank

B

bpetterson

I intend to shoot sRGB.
You can chose Bruce RGB, Nikon RGB, Adobe RGB, or YCC.

Birger

C

Carol Steele

I always shoot AdobeRGB (mode II) - it is a larger colour space and can always be converted down to the smaller gamut space of sRGB if needed - whereas once you have thrown away the colour information you can never retrieve it.

I also always shoot uncompressed RAW - during fast paced weddings where you might be indoors one minute, in shade the next, bright sunny sky the next, cloud cover next it is oh so easy to get the WB incorrect - this can be a pig to rectify later (try adjusting something shot under sunny conditions with a fluorescent WB), but is just so easy in Nikon Capture.

Tone is set to less contrast as this helps reduce blowing out the highlights

Hue is set to +6°

White Balance is normally done as an on the fly Preset using either the ambient colour temp meter on the top of the camera - or using WhiBal cards

High ISO noise is set to High - it doesn't kick in until ISO 400 anyway, and for weddings/portraits I try to keep it below 800 - but if I do need to go higher then I can. It can also be taken off completely or reset to less aggresive NR in Nikon Capture later.

Image Sharpening is set to medium low.

AF-C mode priority is set to Focus

AF-S mode priority is set to Focus

Group Dynamic AF is generally set to 1 (centre) - but I do occasionally change it to 2 (centre)

Lock-On is set to OFF

Flash Sync speed is set to 1/250th (Auto FP) so that I can shoot fill in flash at speeds higher than 1/250th when using the SB800

Flash shutter speed is set to 1/15th sec (I don't trust myself handholding at speeds below this)

Gives you a rough indication about my personal choices and why.

C

Carol Steele

Hi Paul,

Strangely enough, I only set up one bank - then use the recent settings to go in and quickly alter any of the main settings (generally it will be only one change at any given time).

I don't use compressed nef as I can see the difference - and there is one school of thought which is now suggesting that highlight areas can get clipped when shooting compressed RAW.

This is a very helpful thread. Now must go read my manual and learn about 'banks'.......

Does anyone know what the sharpening settings are for the D2X that Ron Reznick puts into the Settings menu bar in Capture. I have them for the D2H but not for the D2X.

Thanks,
Gaye

D2X USM Settings:

These are the initial USM settings in NC4 Ron recommended:
ISO 100-200: 50, 5, 4
ISO 400: 50, 5, 8
ISO 800: 50, 5, 12
HI 1: 50, 5, 20

Paul,
My impression is that these settings of Ron's are used after the picture is in Capture window and are just a starting point. I, many times, keep the settings but then change if I think not enough or too much sharpening. That's what I did with the settings he used for the D2H and D70.

When I took Ron's workshop there was no mention of using the settings according to lens quality..it was for all lenses. The settings were for the camera in use.

It would be good to have Ron jump into this and explain about his sharpening settings or have him add to the STICKY that has settings listed..

Gaye

The trick here is to yield an image which shows a barely-discernable halo at 100% on a high contrast edge. You are trying to offset the anti-aliasing filter. If you miss a shot a little, it will require more USM intensity. If you have strongly-convergent lines, it will require less USM intensity. If you raise the ISO you will want to raise the threshold to reduce the sharpening on noise.

Here is an ISO 200 D2x shot, 1:1 crop, USM 50, 5, 4. Check the edges (click to expand the image):

DoubleCrested_Cormorant_X1174-1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Ron

What about white balance settings. I hear lots use Cloudy when in sun... Do you have any WB settings that you find are best in certain situations?...

Also have talked with folks who use A for all their WB...

Any thoughts on the WB for the D2X? I'm 'all over the map' with my WB and trying to get a few base points.

Thanks,

Gaye

GeeJay said:
What about white balance settings. I hear lots use Cloudy when in sun... Do you have any WB settings that you find are best in certain situations?...

Also have talked with folks who use A for all their WB...

Any thoughts on the WB for the D2X? I'm 'all over the map' with my WB and trying to get a few base points.

Thanks,

Gaye

When things are critical to me I use my Expo Disc with the camera on Pre. When using flash I set the camera on flash and occasionally use other on camera settings depending on the conditions I am shooting in. There is nothing wrong with A, especially when shooting in RAW as you can easily make corrections in Capture. Mixed light situations I almost always use my Expo Disc.

Gaye, based on what I saw in Florida, full daylight, clear sky is about 5100K-5300K assuming similar humidity to that we had when I was there. Cloudy (6000K) will 'warm' things up quite a bit, but you'd better watch out for the red channel (use the split histograms).

Full overcast in humidity like that will be 5800K-6200K, and in that case Cloudy will work out fine.

Ron

Latest threads

Top Bottom