D2X, slow shutter speeds and sharpness

After all the comments on the D2X focusing issues I thought I would post this photo from my Oregon trip. I am finding my longer telephoto shot focus and sharpness to be hit and miss, mainly as a result of imperfect technique (camera shake and poor focus), because I am also getting some remarkably sharp photos at low shutter speeds. The D2X is absolutely brutal at exposing poor technique :!:

This photo of a swallow is a 1:1 pixel crop shot 1/180s f/8 ISO200 at 700mm. The lens was mounted on a gitzo 320 tripod and the swiss arca B1 ball head. The head was tightened enough to provide some resitance. I was resting my left hand on top of the lens directly above the ball head. I was lucky to catch the action at "apogee", with the mouth frozen open. I must say I enjoyed that extra f-stop of brightness you get as you move south :lol:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Looks good, and boy do I agree

I totally agree with you about using good technique on mega-long lenses. I find I can't even rest any real weight of my arm on the 500 f4+TC 1.4 due to it generating camera shake, same goes for the shutter release button. I use a cable release whenever possible. Great looking crop Rory!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom