D2X, slow shutter speeds and sharpness

Discussion in 'Birds' started by hillrg, Jun 9, 2005.

1. After all the comments on the D2X focusing issues I thought I would post this photo from my Oregon trip. I am finding my longer telephoto shot focus and sharpness to be hit and miss, mainly as a result of imperfect technique (camera shake and poor focus), because I am also getting some remarkably sharp photos at low shutter speeds. The D2X is absolutely brutal at exposing poor technique :!:

This photo of a swallow is a 1:1 pixel crop shot 1/180s f/8 ISO200 at 700mm. The lens was mounted on a gitzo 320 tripod and the swiss arca B1 ball head. The head was tightened enough to provide some resitance. I was resting my left hand on top of the lens directly above the ball head. I was lucky to catch the action at "apogee", with the mouth frozen open. I must say I enjoyed that extra f-stop of brightness you get as you move south :lol:

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow what a singer that is..

Great shot Rory :>)))

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Not bad Rory, not bad at all. Where south did you go?

4. My wife and I worked our way down the PNW coast from Port Angeles to Coos Bay, Oregon. This was taken close to Newport, Oregon.

5. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Looks good, and boy do I agree

I totally agree with you about using good technique on mega-long lenses. I find I can't even rest any real weight of my arm on the 500 f4+TC 1.4 due to it generating camera shake, same goes for the shutter release button. I use a cable release whenever possible. Great looking crop Rory!