D2x test-page is up

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Ron Reznick, Mar 7, 2005.

1. The page is linked from the Web Gallery:

http://www.digital-images.net/Gallery/gallery.html

I did several comparisons of the D2h and D2x, plus various tests of the D2x by itself. Lots of work... I hope you find this worth the time it takes to examine it. I've put up some fairly large images and composites, many of which contain 1:1 (100%) crops. Here is an example of a native ISO composite, where the D2x image was resized to match the crop of the D2h:

JapaneseRoom_Composite1.

Ron

2. Thank you Ron for this excellent series of images comparing the D2x at various ISO's as well as the series comparing it to the D2H. It is obvious from the picture above that the D2X has higher resolution in this shot but some of it I feel is because the EV is a tiny bit less on the D2H image than it is on the D2X. That and the fact that the crop factor is a little higher on the D2H because of the smaller sensor size. This was a lot of work for you and it is well done. Thanks again.

3. Hi Gordon,

It was a lot of work... no doubt. I've done even more. Tonight, after my walk, I spent time working on the color character of the D2x, and put up a new section. This ices the cake, I think.

There is a difference in the detail gained by the D2x -- it's got over 40% more pixels (to get the same size image, you resize down by over 60%). There is a benefit in noise density and detail. That's what you're paying the big bucks for (along with the ability to crop, print larger at native size, etc.).

More practice will yield better results, as usual. I've only got 138 shots on the thing so far, plus one processing session and one color analysis and modification session. I'll get there soon...

Thanks for looking, Gordon. You may want to see what I did tonight too...

Ron

4. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Some Interesting Observations

Good Morning Ron...

Great and needed stuff sir.

A) What was the color correction you've done for the X? I assume that it's a NC D2X set that you've worked up?

B) Very interesting that there is no noise reduction applied against the NEF?

C) How did you find the EV compensation to be, relative to the D2H? (Is +0.7 the same in both?)

D) Any comments from you relative to the ability to hold / not hold highlights?

Jim

5. joecolson

joecolson

Jan 28, 2005
    Cary, NC
    Ron,

Thanks for posting your work. This benefits all of us who are going through the learning curve for this camera.

6. Hi Jim and Joe,

The correction was fairly complex, LCH alterations to Hue, Chroma and Color Lightness. I've spent a while tweaking (I have to say that the CG21 monitor made this nasty job a lot easier than doing it on a CRT) and have saved in a .set file. I want to do a lot more experimentation based on shots in a number of situations with several different color balances before being sure I've got it right though. I've only got 138 shots so far. I think a few more will be needed :^)

As you know, the EV comp depends on the scene balance and luminosity of subjects within the scene. The metering is predictable in some situations and not in others. Again, I need some more information.

The exposure latitude at the top end is magnificent. It holds yellows better than anything I've seen. The dynamic range at the top is definitely wider than the D2h, which already raised the bar. This shot should tell the tale better than anything I can say (check the flowered box on the bottom step):
    D2hOOB_D2xTweak_detail.

Joe, I've just started on my excursion up the learning curve. If you come up with anything interesting, please let us all know. I expect great things from you :^)

Ron

7. That is pretty dramatic Ron. Thanks for your efforts.

8. No kidding. The DR improvement in the whites and yellows is pretty spectacular.

Glad to be of assistance, Gordon :^)

Ron

9. joecolson

joecolson

Jan 28, 2005
    Cary, NC
    Ron,

Is your avatar a self portrait or what? ;-)

10. I really should have shaved that day, don't you think?

Ron

11. joecolson

joecolson

Jan 28, 2005
    Cary, NC
    Tomoko is such a lucky girl. :lol:

12. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Well....All I can say is, if that picture is from your house, Ron, then you sure must not have any cats.... :D :D

Frank

13. I've got three of the little beasts, Frank :^)

Ron

14. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Ron,

I finally got a chance to look through your D2X tests last night, and I have to say, another masterful job.... :p Prior to reading your comments, and thoroughly scrutinizing each test shot, I was pretty much of the opinion that I didn't need a D2X, especially since I have such a long way to go as far as getting the most out of my D2H.

After reading your article though, I'm almost convinced that I need to seriously look at the X. There are obvious improvements in the level of detail that you can get with the new cam. The extra pixels certainly would be useful for cropping of flying birdie shots.

Maybe I just need to work harder on my acquisition skills, but boy is that baby tempting.... :wink:

Thanks,

Frank

15. Nah, the extra hair keeps the no seeums away. :D

16. Frank, the detail is nothing short of spectacular. It even makes a standard size shot stand out. Check the detail in this pillow for instance:

http://www.trapagon.com/dig-img/D2x/JapaneseRoom_Composite1.jpg

Look at the 2nd pillow, as the focus point was a little farther back on the D2h so looking at the front pillow isn't quite fair to the D2h.

Harris, anything that can keep no-see-ums away can't be all bad.

:^)

Ron

17. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Ron,

Funny you should post this particular pic. It is the shot that made me start to rethink my opinion on the D2X. Great minds apparently do think alike.... 8)

Thanks,

Frank

18. De nada, Frank :^)