D2x test shot

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Ron Reznick, Mar 4, 2005.

1. It's raining cats and dogs here, so after setting up the menus I shot one of the cats.

Below is a test-shot taken with flash (diffused at 45degrees, on-camera), 200 Micro at f/8, ISO 100, Sharpening = None and USM 66,5,4 in Capture from the NEF, no other alterations in processing. This is as close to out of camera as possible. On the right is a 1:1 crop, on the left is a full-frame resize. This ought to tell part of the tale. I'll do serious testing over the weekend and will post results ASAP.

As this is a fairly large image, you may have to click on it to open it full-size, assuming the posted image is resized down like the preview is.

[​IMG]

Ron

2. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Okay that 1:1 crop is worth a serious WOW! Man that's sharp - like looking through a microscope, only better (to put it badly). Really superb definition/clarity/whateveryouwanttocallit

Oh it's also worth a serious "thank goodness kittie had the sense to wipe away the boogers beforehand!" :)

Thanks for post that Ron.

Neil

3. I wonder how this topic got split?

The 200 Micro is a superb lens, but it definitely helps to mount it on a tripod, and firing the flash was pretty much a necessity here for detail (no flash would have yielded a 4sec. shot).

1:1 boogers would have been gross :^)

Ron

4. 1/1 crop has amazing detail. Nicely done Ron. Of course I am looking forward to your shots from this weekend.

5. Tomorrow's the day, Gordon. The weather seems to be clearing somewhat, so it should be pretty nice (probably partly cloudy). I'll shoot the D2h and D2x with the 17-35, 60, 135/2 and 200 Micro. Should be interesting. I probably won't do all that many comparison shots, but I'll shoot the heck out of the D2x.

Ron