D2x test shot

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Ron Reznick, Mar 4, 2005.

1. It's raining cats and dogs here, so after setting up the menus I shot one of the cats.

Below is a test-shot taken with flash (diffused at 45degrees, on-camera), 200 Micro at f/8, ISO 100, Sharpening = None and USM 66,5,4 in Capture from the NEF, no other alterations in processing. This is as close to out of camera as possible. On the right is a 1:1 crop, on the left is a full-frame resize. This ought to tell part of the tale. I'll do serious testing over the weekend and will post results ASAP.

As this is a fairly large image, you may have to click on it to open it full-size, assuming the posted image is resized down like the preview is.

[​IMG]

Ron

2. Wow - look at the tiny 1 pixel white hot highlight on each little nodule of the nose. Very cool. Nikon X just rocks.

How do you get the image to resize and then open a new full screen window when clicked on?

3. I think that's the forum software doing it when the image is larger than some threshold. I didn't do it...

Ron

4. That is amazing how it shows the detail with tha crop. Nice!!

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Guys,

The max pic dimension before compression takes place is 960 pixels.

Frank

6. That's a sensible limit...

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Yeah, you're right Ron, but I still can't believe that you are using the picture you took of me as your avatar.... :lol: :lol:

Frank

8. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi Frank -

Is that 960 wide? Or 960 longer of height or width?

BTW, many, many thanks to you (and anyone else who was involved) for setting up this forum. It's pure pleasure after DPR!

Gordon

9. I thought about using that photo Frank, but decided in favor of a shot Tomoko took of me one day when I didn't shave :^)

Ron

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Width.

11. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

12. I doubt whether the D2x will exceed the capabilities of high-end glass, but it will probably stress base-level glass badly (the differences were readily apparent even with the D1/D1h). It's going to take a while before I can check things with all of my lenses, but I'll be shooting the 17-35, 60, 135/2DC and 200 Micro tomorrow. It should be a good test.

Ron