D2X Test_ Low Light HI-2

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by craigcappy, Aug 21, 2005.

1. I am posting a series of shots that I took this weekend at a local HS football game. The following photographs where hand held using a 200 VR 2.

I want to point out that these shots where taken in the high speed crop mode. My camera was set in the focus priority mode. Vertically shot.

I have not seen many low light sport photographs posted using the D2X. I wanted to share my photographs with this group to get your feed back and thoughts. I am pleased with the results. Your comments and thoughts will be welcomed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    I dont know how to judge High ISO noise , But these look real good to me for Hi2 .

3. I agree with you, I did not apply any Noise Reduction to these shots. The camera did all the work. What is amazing is the clarity. Granted the lens that I used helped alot, but the over all photos did not need alot of work. The VR make a HUGE diffrence. I used this same lens on a D1X and I did not come out with the same results.

4. Hi nice shots for Hi-2. I was looking at the EXIF data but there is no iso rating in the shots.

Normally a D2X shot haves iso rating is it normal that there is no iso rating above iso 800 ?

Greetings,
    VinceBeus

5. Yes there are. I did not run these photo thru Nikon View, I used PS

6. Pretty amazing for Hi2 shots Craig. They do seem to be lacking a little in color and contrast but that could easily be fixed in post processing. Noise is not a concern as far as I can tell.

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hi Craig,

I am impressed with the overall quality of your images. Were these shot with ambient lighting alone or with an on-camera flash? If these were without any additional lighting...handheld...VR on, I am damned impressed! As Gordon mentioned, the colors appeared to be a tad muted...do you agree or are the colors accurate? But as Gordon said, the colors can be tweaked in PS. I'd be so pleased if my D2h could get such great results in low-light situations. Thanks so much for taking the time to share these images...I may need to sell a kidney to buy an X in the near future!!!

8. I am sorry for the delay getting back to you and Gordon. I did not use a flash for these photos. I did not spend the time in PS as I should of with these shots.

I did by pass Capture with these shots and went straight to PS. This is the reason that the EXIF data was removed as vincebeus commented on an earlier post.

I created an Action using the 90 % rule to batch process all my night shots for this shoot. I failed to go back to red channel in saturauation to make the red color of there jersey's pop.

My setting was HUE plus 6% on my camera. What are your and Gordon's thoughts on this setting?

I can't find the spell checker. Where did it go!!

9. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hi Craig,

I'm a true novice when it comes to post-processing, so I am not the person to offer too much advice. The color of the jersey looks a bit muted or dull, does it match the actual color? Other than that, the image quality is pretty darned sweet at high ISO.

10. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    I agree with Frank and Gordon - noise is not an issue here, as far as I can tell. The pictures are wonderful. Colors could be a bit stronger, as mentioned.