D2x to much?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by cwilt, May 25, 2005.

1. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I have noticed since getting the D2x that I almost always have to smooth skin in portrait shots. If I don't the face looks dirty because you can see every pore. Even on my 5 year old daughter! Anyone else notice this?

Thats a tough price to pay for so much resolution. :lol:

2. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Is it just at 100% that they look "too" detailed? Keep in mind a 12MP image is going to show more magnification (for lack of a better term) when viewed on-screen at 100%. I bet they look fine as prints though.

On the other hand if all that extra post-processing bothers you I would be willing to send you my D70 in exchange for your D2X. :D

3. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Jeff,

I notice in print too. Maybe my printer is to sharp also. :lol:

I already have a D70. It is what started this expensive hobby for me. And I thought drag racing was an expensive hobby. :shock:

4. My answer would have been the same as JeffKohn, however, when you said you say the problem in print that would concern me. I would look for a setting that "softens" the image. Leica had a reputation for quality cameras, however, they would make their lenses soft for portrait photography. I would work on settings that give you the finished photo you are looking for.

Bill

5. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    This is a good problem to have. It's easy to soften skin in Photoshop. Much harder to add detail that wasn't captured.

6. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I am now softening the skin in PSCS. The reason I brought this up is because of the posts, on the other site, that say the jump from 6 to 12 mega pixels isn't very much. From what I seen on screen and print that is BS! Comparing my D70 images to the D2x images with the same lens and aperture there is a massive difference in detail.

Another side effect is with my daughters baby fine blond hair. It caused moire in D70 images. The D2x doesn't have this problem. Perhaps another benefit from the 6 to 12 jump.

Charles

7. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Heck yes - I agree with that. There is WAY more detail in the D2X images.

8. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I started using only prime lenses to try and get every detail I could with my D70. Now I am considering getting a couple of fast zooms (did I just say the Z word? :shock: ) for portraiture.

9. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Ever heard of the Black Nylon trick?

I've never tried this myself, but I understand if you tightly stretch a black nylon scarf over the lens, then either secure it with an empty filter ring, or even put a rubber band around it, it will give a softening effect that is very pleasing. You could try googling for this trick. I hear it works great!

10. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Thanks for the tip Steve that may come in handy some day. I went ahead and bought a zoom lens that should be better for what I am doing. I think it is funny that now I am buying lenses because they have less resolution. :)