D2X using RAW + JPG on a 2GB CF Card gives you...

Joined
Feb 25, 2005
Messages
304
Location
New Jersey
Just an FYI...

The D2X using the RAW + JPG Fine, JPG size set to Small on a 2GB CF card is yeilding around 87 shots. (Small size is still larger than my 1600x1200 monitor).

The same exact settings using high-speed crop mode yeilds 153 shots.

The same card in a D2H using similar settings (JPG size set to medium which is the lowest setting that can be used) yields 266 shots.

Anyone know where I can get a fast 4GB CF card for cheap? Ouch...
 
Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
994
Location
Alabama
Joe,

I'm not about to run out and buy a D2X any time soon, but of course I lust for one just like the next person. The primary issue that concerns me is just this one; the file sizes are huge. Not only does it eat up CF card space, it must slow Capture down to a crawl.... :shock:

Having said that, I would still somehow figure out how to deal with these problems is I could figure out a way to pay for one of these babies.... :lol:

Thanks for the info.

Frank
 
Joined
Feb 1, 2005
Messages
4,741
Location
SE Florida
4GB cards for $295, Joe

Ron R posted this link on DPR. http://dealram.com/prices/19/4GB.html?1,2
I had already bought 2 Kingston Elite Pro 4GB cards from www.newegg.com for $298. Not bad! Today, I thik I'm gonna try shooting Compressed NEFs,+ JPG Basic, and see how that goes. Yesterday, I only shot Uncompressed + JPG Fine. Couldn't believe how loooong the transfer took!
Joe_Lorenzini said:
Just an FYI...

The D2X using the RAW + JPG Fine, JPG size set to Small on a 2GB CF card is yeilding around 87 shots. (Small size is still larger than my 1600x1200 monitor).

The same exact settings using high-speed crop mode yeilds 153 shots.

The same card in a D2H using similar settings (JPG size set to medium which is the lowest setting that can be used) yields 266 shots.

Anyone know where I can get a fast 4GB CF card for cheap? Ouch...
 
Joined
Feb 1, 2005
Messages
4,741
Location
SE Florida
NC is slow, but not THAT bad!

X-poted from DPR:
I have 1 1/2GB DDR ram on my 2.8 Dell, and to get it to work as efficiently as possible, I went to the Black Viper's website, a bonafied expert in XP and it's services, and followed his directions to turn off ALL unnecessary Svcs, using his "Safe" guidlines. Then turned off ALL eyecandy in XP (Rt click on My Computer, and in Properties, under the Advanced Tab, "Adjust For Best Performance." Then, when I actually go to work on some large files, I do a CTRL/ALT/DEL, and see what else I can temporarilty turn off so save Ram. (You can sort by memory usage). Going beyond that, I never have a N View window open when using NC4, and ALWAYS close my completed, saved image from NC4, before working on it in PS. This procedure has seemed to help a lot. One last thing, I found a great little free program called "Clean Up!" which can dump all your .tmp files with a single click, you've got laying around for God knows how long. (I made sure I went into Options and deselected Cookies so you don't have to go through logging on to websites again). When I ran it the 1st time, it found literally 1000s of .tmp files my kids' logon had lying around on my dual logon puter that have been there for months or possibly years! While ruinning, it displayed a looooog scrolling list of temp files that took several minutes to flush out. It was unbelievable! After completion, puter runs great. Oh, and it doesn't hurt to defrag your HD once in a while too.
Links:
Clean Up!: http://cleanup.stevengould.org/
Black Viper's page: http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
The method Ron R uses to select and cull images using Thumbs Plus to view the jpgs is very effieient. Transfer files, separate by type, put jpgs in a separate folder, view jpgs in Thumbs to select. Now, not sure if this part is how Ron does it, I gotta reread his Ebook on this, but what I did last night, was to keep N View open on the folder with the newly transferred nefs, then, when I find a shot I like in Thumbs, I switch back to View, and Tag Mark the corresponding nef. Once that's done, you can highlight all Tagged nefs in View, then move them into a nef Keeper folder, or just open them 1 at a time in NC4.
Flew said:
Joe,

I'm not about to run out and buy a D2X any time soon, but of course I lust for one just like the next person. The primary issue that concerns me is just this one; the file sizes are huge. Not only does it eat up CF card space, it must slow Capture down to a crawl.... :shock:

Having said that, I would still somehow figure out how to deal with these problems is I could figure out a way to pay for one of these babies.... :lol:

Thanks for the info.

Frank
 
Joined
Feb 13, 2005
Messages
94
Location
South Thomaston, ME
Downloading images

Hi,

Right now I use a D70 and my largest card is 1G. Using a Mac G5 with 2.5 X 2gHz processors and USB2, it take a 'little while' to download stuff into iPhoto. I am not up to speed on NC as yet. I can see where download time could be a problem in some situations, but I used to wait over week for my Kodachromes to come back from Kodak, so I consider this a blessing. At least I can tell right away if my stuff is in the ballpark and sharp.

Some of us can remember ASA 10 Kodachrome (I'm really not THAT old).

Steve
 
Joined
Jan 31, 2005
Messages
1,196
Location
Brooklyn, NY USA
Re: Downloading images

frogpix said:
I used to wait over week for my Kodachromes to come back from Kodak, so I consider this a blessing.
lol good point! But I worry about file size too. Gotta figure in a lot of upgrading, PC wise, for that camera. Sigh.
 
Joined
Feb 25, 2005
Messages
304
Location
New Jersey
Compressed RAW

Thanks for the RAM link, first time I'd seen that!

As far as compressed NEF files go, why doesn't the shot counter change when you turn compression on? Is it because compression is on a picture-by-picture basis and can't be estimated?

And as far as RAW to computer transfer goes, I picked up the Lexar firewire CF reader and it's very fast! I don't know that you can get any faster right now, can you? I highly recommend it.

_/oe
 
Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
994
Location
Alabama
Wow, this thread is full of good info.

Joe,

There is one way to get files off of your CF card faster than with Firewire *if* you have a PCCard slot on your machine. A CF card reader for the PCCard slot can be had for under $20 (from B&H and other places).

Steve,

Your post has some really good info as well.

Thanks to everyone.... :p

Frank
 
Joined
Feb 25, 2005
Messages
304
Location
New Jersey
PC Card

Hi Frank,

I forgot about the PCCard, do you know what kind of transfer rate you get off the card? I'm assuming it's as fast as the current PCCard bus standard, I just don't know what that is.

Lexar states their 32 bit cardbus adapter can transfer up to 132MB per second but I'm not sure I believe that. That would be around 15 seconds for a 2GB card and for that, I'd consider it... I do have high speed Lexar CF cards...

http://www.adorama.com/ILXCBACF32.html

Delkin has one as well...

_/oe
 
Joined
Feb 1, 2005
Messages
4,741
Location
SE Florida
NP, Joe

I agree with the Lexar FW Reader. I've had one for 4 yrs now.

Joe_Lorenzini said:
Thanks for the RAM link, first time I'd seen that!

As far as compressed NEF files go, why doesn't the shot counter change when you turn compression on? Is it because compression is on a picture-by-picture basis and can't be estimated?

And as far as RAW to computer transfer goes, I picked up the Lexar firewire CF reader and it's very fast! I don't know that you can get any faster right now, can you? I highly recommend it.

_/oe
 
Joined
Feb 1, 2005
Messages
4,741
Location
SE Florida
The Kingston Elite Pro iCF s fine

Been using the 2GB model for a couple weeks. Haven't received the 4GB cards yet.
PhotoDawg said:
HEY STEVE,

How do you like the Kingston CF Card? Any issues you have with it?
 
Joined
Feb 25, 2005
Messages
304
Location
New Jersey
Cardbus reader

Your right of course, USB & Firewire all have rated transfer rates. The cardbus solution looks like it's a bit more complicated when trying to compare to the USB/Firewire option.

The Lexar 32 bit Cardbus reader says that the actual speed depends upon the speed of the CF card. So you've got the 32bit vs 16bit speed plus the CF card transfer rate and that should equal the data transfer speed.

http://www.lexarmedia.com/readers/cf32bit.html

_/oe
 
Joined
Feb 25, 2005
Messages
304
Location
New Jersey
I love this page! I always refer to it before buying media. Good to have it posted!

Rob uses the same exact Lexar firewire card reader I do and he says it's one of the fastest if not the fastest of the bunch which is good news.

However, Rob doesn't do any measurements using Cardbus. Using his math on a D2H, a full 2GB card would take over 6 minutes to transfer. If the Lexar site is accurate and not tainted by marketing geeks (all due respect) then the Cardbus solution would take only 15 seconds.

This may be worth looking into...

_/oe
 
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom