D2X versus D2H

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Gilles, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Just a tought after seeing a lot of picture on the site.

I find the D2H has better tones renditions and smoother contrast than the D2X. What do you think?

2. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    My Opinion

I find that the D2X definetly has smoother contrast areas but I do agree that out of the box, the D2H and D2Hs have better tone rendition...not that I can't achieve the same within my image processing anyway.

As I shoot RAW anyway, I don't use out of the box except for non important stuff.

3. IxLr8

IxLr8 Guest

I also agree with the post.

4. If you can control the contrast, every thing else will false into place with the D2X.

5. Simon

Simon

Apr 30, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Interesting post.

I am a bit surprised by this though, I would have thought the D2X would be better.

I have the D2H and get wonderful photos from it, I never print over 8 x 10 so I have no point in "upgrading" and dont intend to

I guess I'm surprised by the words "tone rendition" as I would have thought more res and CMOS sensor of the D2X would have given better tonal gradation etc.

6. The analogy in black & white film between the two camera as i see it would be D2H = Tri-X and D2X = Technical pan.

7. nfoto

nfoto Guest

This has to depend not only on the cameras, but also on the software used to process the NEF files.

Personally I find the D2X files to be almost perfect when they are run through BibblePro (4.2.6) whilst D2H images may be a bit oversaturated. Nikon Capture 4.3 shows a similar behaviour, but D2X may come out a little on the dull side and some colour saturation often has to be added.

8. Bjorn when I open your site there's a superb photo that appears, what camera and lens did you use, and I looked in your photos to see if i could see an example or two of pictures taken with the 85 f2.8 PC micro-nikkor, do you have any?

9. nfoto

nfoto Guest

You mean the red and green ferns? That's an EIR shot with the 24 mm f/2.8 on an F2 T. The black-and-white spider on a tiled background is with the 85/1.4 and F4.

If you look into the 85 PC review, there is an accompanying shot there. Nothing particular, but at least it shows the clarity of the lens.

10. Very nice photo indeed. How the 200 f4 micro compares to the 85 f2.8 pc micro? (in term of sharpness and contrast)

11. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Both are excellent performers, but of course, if you ever need tilt or shift, then you have to have the 85 PC :)

12. Bjorn I know that you have an extensive Nikon collection; do you have a Nikon SP and how does it compare to a Leica camera.

I have seen one only once during the years my brother was a camera repairman. It is supposed with the Nikon F to be the best mechanical cameras they ever made, is that true.

13. nfoto

nfoto Guest

I certainly have an SP. And a Nikon S3 as well. Both are beatifully made and work perfectly 45 years afterwards. I prefer S3 to the SP for personal reasons some of which are described in my Nikon S3 review.

Personally I would rate an F2 Titan as the best made mechanical camera ever. But the SP and S3, together with the Nikon F, are not far behind.

14. Thank you very much Bjorn for taking time to answer my interrogation point as i like to buy things that will last for a long time.