D2X vs D2Xs... ok who's shot both?...

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by fyreflie24, Jun 14, 2007.

1. fyreflie24

fyreflie24

Jun 24, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    I'm specializing mostly in working with kids in my work... so I need really great focusing, especially in the studio (lower light) and when working in someone's house. I've recently had a D2x in my hands and feel in love. I love my D200, don't get me wrong, LOVE it, but I seem to be missing shots left and right, again especially in the studio, when the kiddos are active. The focusing just doesn't seem to be keeping up (I'm shooting the 28-70 2.8 almost exclusively these days). I think my hit rate was much higher with the D2X... as long as I was within the focusing threshold of the lens, the camera was firing.

So after my brief love affair with a borrowed D2x, I'm really considering an upgrade. But I'm trying to figure out if I 1) purchase a D2x and keep the D200, 2) sell the D200 and get a D2xs or just wait and get the D2xs when I can afford it. I don't think I can justify the 8k D3 if and when it makes an appearance.

So for those of you who have shot two or three of these cameras, I'm looking for your feedback. PLEASE!!

2. I've used the D200 since December 2005 and then in March 2007 purchased the D2Xs..... There is definitely a world of difference between the two cameras! Focusing is significantly quicker, which I notice when shooting BIF. This past weekend I had an opportunity to shoot active children but unfortunately didn't have my D2Xs with me and the whole time I sure wished I did! I was using the D80 and it just couldn't compare....

I would purchase the D2Xs rather than the D2X, as there have been some subtle and not-so-subtle changes made in it vs the D2x. Someone who is more familiar with both cameras can probably tell you more than I can...

3. Send a PM to Jim Fenton

4. I have used both extensively. the D2x will be a great camera and with the firmware update will not be enough differnce to be concerned about the D2Xs

5. S has a darkened area around HSC, not just red marks. Also, in high speed crop there are areas of metering outside the HSC area -in the S, these areas are not part on S, but are on the regular X.

The battery is a bit better on the S.

I think that is about it. There were a few other differences, but if you upgrade the X to 2.0 firmware, those differences are gone.

6. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

I have both as well as the D200 and the D2Hs.

Allan's statement is about the only main difference.
    If I plan on using the HSC I pick up the D2Xs if possible.

Yes the D200 in low light even if you boost the ISO the focus can be slow. Have you tried using an SB800 flash??

Birger

7. S vs X

I have the same problem. I can't decide whether to purchase an "s" or "x"
    let me know what you decide and why.

8. I think if you shoot a lot in HSC it might be worth getting an S. If you buy used the S would be $500-$600 more, If you sell in 2 years yoou probably would not get the $500 back (just a guess,)

9. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Since I'm Selling an Xs

It's way more betterererer than an X :)

Honestly......if you're going to use the HSC, spend the extra money for a used Xs. (Or of course a new one if you want new)

I've shot HSC ion both and for my eyes / use at least, the Xs masking is just better and it meters only from the cropped area...not the full frame as with the X.

10. fyreflie24

fyreflie24

Jun 24, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    With the D2xs being released 2-3 years after the Xs, anyone see any difference in the image quality, especially at high ISOs (and by high I mean 800)?

Anyone see any performance differences with the SB800 between models?

11. Same noise, or so I have been told (a D2X shooter.)

12. imageswest

imageswest Guest

No difference in image quality or noise. The only significant difference is the viewfinder cropping and matrix metering adjustment in HS Crop mode, as others have pointed out.

I bought a D2Xs primarily because I couldn't find a new or used D2X at the time I needed one.

13. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Apart from the HSC viewfinder cropping, are there any other differences in the viewfinder or LCD on the D2Xs?

14. I have both, and I believe the D2Xs has slightly less noise than the D2X. The biggest thing for me though is the LCD is much closer to the D200, so if I am shooting two cameras, I tend to use the D2Xs/D200 combo. I also just sold my D2X, so for me it's now a D2Xs/Hs/200 senario. I also picked up a D40X which also has it's place, but I won't go into that at this point.

GenoP

15. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Image Difference

The Xs also has much better output relative to the red channel than the X did / does...even after the firmware uptae to the X.

16. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

Jim;

You are correct about the red channel.
    I have been hesitate to claim a better picture file until your statement.

Birger

17. I also agree.

GenoP