D2X - Waterproof ?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Riki, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Riki

Riki

May 7, 2005
    Warsaw, Poland
    To what degree can one use the D2 series camera's in rain without cover ? Instinct always made me run for cover even when the first drop of water touched my skin. But in a recent trip was told by a gentleman pro that these cameras can handle rain very well and no need to worry. Common sense states that these are definitely not water sealed. So to what extent can one get them wet. If at all on gets caught in a heavy shower , what parts if any should be dried out ? The reason I am asking this question is that I have a feeling that some moisture may have entered my camera on a recent shoot causing my clock battery to discharge rapidly thus resetting the clock. Do you think it is possible that moisture could have got in ? Has anyone had any water or moisture damage to any of his Nikon pro gear ?
    Incidentally, I just saw some rain covers in a thread on another forum. Are these effective ? Do any of you use them.
    Thanks in advance.

2. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    They are supposed to be very well sealed, although I hesitate to put it to the test . . . :shock:

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  4. From what I understand, the camera is sealed pretty well unless immersed, but the lenses are a weak point. I do not think that most are sealed at several points along the barrel where ring adjuments are made.

5. Riki

Riki

May 7, 2005
    Warsaw, Poland
    Haha, very funny Chris. Mine's not that bad. Needs a bit of roasting though. Was thinking of putting it in the microwave to dry it out :D

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Seriously, I got caught in a desert downpour once. My D100 and 24-120vr were completely wetted. There were drops everywhere. I was at the Phoenix Zoo, and took it into the bathroom, and after blotting it dry with paper towels, used a warm air hand dryer on it. Other guys thought I was nuts, but the 'no talking in a public men's room' rule held.

The camera never missed a beat, but few of the pix I took while it was wet came out any good (and none had that magic look from the other thread. This was the best one:
    [​IMG]

7. Riki

Riki

May 7, 2005
    Warsaw, Poland
    Wow. Is this with a 24-120Vr ? Who says the lens is soft ?
    So the moral of the story is , look for a mens room after a wet day out !

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks Riki.

The 24-120vr isn't soft. Many who say it is are comparing it to lenses that have half the zoom range, cost twice as much, are two stops faster and don't have VR. As six year olds say, "it's not fair!" Close the iris one or two stops and it is incredibly sharp (with nice bokeh to boot!) Wide open, it makes a great portrait lens. The one thing it isn't is a low-light lens, as it just isn't fast enough.

Oh, and if the reader is a woman, look for the lady's please.

9. Definetely YES!