D2X white auto white balance...wow am I pleased.

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Vernon t, May 15, 2005.

1. My experiences with my new camera continue to please me immensely.
    RAW WB controversies aside, the auto WB is an order of magnitude ahead of what I was used to on my D100 and D2H.

RAW post processing is all fine and dandy, but for everyday documentation-of-life-around-me shooting lots of JPG's that I don't have to post-futz-with make me smile broadly.
    The following two shots made me smile tonight. They were shot as jpg's under hideous lighting using auto WB. I most typicaly would have guessed the Kelvin T on my D2H, as AWB wouldn't have come so close.

They were from a Baffin Bay Texas fish camp late last night. The first was shot with a single 100w incandescent above him with red white and green 40w incandescents above and behind me. The second shot was lit only by the multicolored incandescents.

The shots also demo nicely the 85.1.4 inder dim light.
    D2X 85.1.4 ISO800(no nr) f1.4(1st) f2.0 (2nd) both handheld 1/20th
    PP: only levels left slider drag(both were underexposed USM nad resize, I didn't touch the color whatsoever...made me smile.

2. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    You should be impressed with these...Very nice considering the lighting you worked with. I will try what you did and see how they come out too..

It's obvious you're enjoying your D2X. Keep the shots coming.

Best to you,
    Gaye

3. huskey8

huskey8

Feb 22, 2005
    Very impressive

My favorite is the young man what a great capture of a moment by you totally disregarding the camera it says a lot about you as a photographer.

4. Thanks.
    The reason I like these shots is that the camera captured most of what my eyes saw. I like that a lot.
    We haven't even come close to truly approximating what our eyes see...but we are closing.

I think he was looking at my little brother(the other shot) and wishing he was old enough to have a Coors too!