d2x with SB-28 and SB-800

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Matthias, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Matthias

Matthias

Apr 13, 2007
    Central Texas
    Today while tooling around with the D2x I forgot the SB-800 which is my main flash. The only flash in my bag was the SB-28. Normally the SB-28 is only used as a secondary fill flash for multiflash setups so I do not pay much attention to it as an on-camera flash.

Trying to use the SB-28 on the camera in TTL mode the camera never fired. What could cause this? Is the D2x not talking to the SB-28, or am I overlooking a setting in the menu setup??

2. Matthias

Matthias

Apr 13, 2007
    Central Texas
    No suggestions yet? Thanks for looking anyway.

3. The older flashes [ older than SB600/800 ] used something like D-ttl which the newer cameras don't have so they can't talk to each other .
    I use my SB24 in "A" mode with the aperture/iso settings set manually on the flash .
    The camera fires the flash but doesn't communicate with it .
    With my SB24 I disconnected all the pins except the centre one so the flash doesn't interfere with camera settings . [edit-oops , and the front one which is still connected ]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2008
  4. Matthias

Matthias

Apr 13, 2007
    Central Texas
    Desmond,

thanks for clarifying this one for me - will try the A setting if it ever goes back on the d2x in an emergency.

5. Maybe try it now before the emergency arises . With my SB24 I've disconnected the two rear pins so they can't communicate and ''confuse'' each other , however when I have the flash in 'standby' mode and it goes to sleep as soon as I turn the camera on it wakes up so they maust be 'talking' through the front pin still .
    You'll have to check how your camera responds to this communication .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.