D2Xs grainy viewfinder!!

Hi:

I recently got a D2Xs and while I was testing it I noticed that the viewfinder's "clarity" changes. I was using it with a 17-55 and the image was crystal clear on the VF, then I tried it with a 200-400VR and the image looks kind of grainy. it seems to be limited to this lens. So being a rookie with this camera, is this normal behavior??? Thanks for any input you can give me!!! :confused:

I think it is normal. The majority of my images look out of focus, yet when I view them on the computer they are perfect.
I have heard from other users that all their images look green on the camera but fine ont he computer.
I'll wait for more responses too but from what I hear, this is normal.

Well I just talked to Nikon Support and they think one of the coupling contacts may be damage. It only happens with telephoto lenses, 70-200, 105mm and 200-400. The best way I can described it is as Noise on the viewfinder image, but the images come out ok.

Thanks

Hi:

I recently got a D2Xs and while I was testing it I noticed that the viewfinder's "clarity" changes. I was using it with a 17-55 and the image was crystal clear on the VF, then I tried it with a 200-400VR and the image looks kind of grainy. it seems to be limited to this lens. So being a rookie with this camera, is this normal behavior??? Thanks for any input you can give me!!! :confused:

Are you referring the grainy look as in matted? I believe you're seeing this through the focusing screen which is matted. I can see this on mine in bright conditions. Not so obvious on wide angles but more noticeably with a long zoom.

The 200-400 is a much slower lens then your 17-55. So, less light comes through the viewfinder, resulting in a more "grainy" (as you call it) view.

I think I see this too on a D2H with the 500P. On the D200, it doesn't look 'grainy' with the 500P or other telephoto lenses. Is the focus screen that different between the two cameras?

D2Xs

I have one, and have not had this grainy look appear on the LCD with any lenses 14 through 300. Talking to Nikon sounds like the right thing to do in this situation.

I have one, and have not had this grainy look appear on the LCD with any lenses 14 through 300. Talking to Nikon sounds like the right thing to do in this situation.

I think Numael was not referring to pics appearing on the LCD screen. I think he's referring to what he actually sees through the viewfinder.

I think I see this too on a D2H with the 500P. On the D200, it doesn't look 'grainy' with the 500P or other telephoto lenses. Is the focus screen that different between the two cameras?

A fellow photog did "complain" about the grainyness when he peered through my D2Hs viewfinder compared to his D200 with similar focal lengths. It could probably well due to different focus screens.

I have a D2X and I just tried your scenerio. In either situation, you can make out the matte of the focus screen, gives it a softer view with wide angles, but a sharper view of the matte on the telephoto shots. It is more previlent in outdoor shots on sunny days, but until now, I did not take notice that there was a differnce based on focal length.

This has never bothered me in the past, because I have various focus screens I use if I am doing pictures of buildings or people. When you swap out the focal screen, you can see the difference in the mattes and how they affect the image in the view finder.

None of this really matters because the image that hits the sensor does not get there by way of the focal screen. Your pictures will be clear of any matte finish. If it is a blur issue, you may also want to adjust the diopter adjustment knob at the view finder to match your eyes.

Thank you guys!!! Who needs Nikon Support when you got the Cafe!!!
I did some tests yesterday and I actually found out it was coming from the focusing screen. Coming from the D200 this really looked weird to me, especially with the long telephoto lenses, now I can be at peace knowing that this is normal!!!

Thank you all!!!!:Wink:

Latest threads

Top Bottom