D2xs to D4s Upgrade

Good day to all, I have an opportunity to venture into a new occupation. Part of this new occupation involves using the camera in more low light situations and so I've decided to upgrade the camera body. For years, I've used a D2xs or D1x with great success. The D4s is a bit newer. I am just wondering what I could expect that is different from the older D-series models I know rather well to a newer one that I'd have to learn. Thanks for your time.

R/
David

The D4s is an awesome camera and will serve you well in the low light arena. The difference in quality will be very noticeable and the cameras are now easier and much faster to use. You will love the upgrade.

Cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

"i'm getting a D6 once I get a job. Anyone hiring beagles?" - Georgie Beagle

The D4s is an awesome camera and will serve you well in the low light arena. The difference in quality will be very noticeable and the cameras are now easier and much faster to use. You will love the upgrade.

Cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

"i'm getting a D6 once I get a job. Anyone hiring beagles?" - Georgie Beagle
Many thanks Alexis.

R/
Dave

Is there a big difference between a d4 and a d4s ? ( im still using my d2xs )
Mine is still inbound so I haven’t had a chance to receive and use it quite yet. The reason(s) I went with the D4s vs the D4 was the potential for better image quality at a higher ISO and that it was a few years newer as a camera model. The other reasons were the FX sensor, ISO 50 option and the 4x5 format option. I really loved my D1x. When I got the D2xs, I really enjoyed it as well and have used it since I got that camera in 2010. It is time for an upgrade.

R/
Dave

Mine is still inbound so I haven’t had a chance to receive and use it quite yet. The reason(s) I went with the D4s vs the D4 was the potential for better image quality at a higher ISO and that it was a few years newer as a camera model. The other reasons were the FX sensor, ISO 50 option and the 4x5 format option. I really loved my D1x. When I got the D2xs, I really enjoyed it as well and have used it since I got that camera in 2010. It is time for an upgrade.

R/
Dave
Thanks.... d4 is cheaper than d4s I didn't make my choice yet ….ill get either a d4 or a d4s

Real Name
Randy
I shot both and saw no difference in high iso shots. I regretted that upgrade.
The D3s was the best of the 's' models as far as being noticeably better than the D3
If you can save enough money it would be worth getting the d4.
Are you looking on fm ?

I shot both and saw no difference in high iso shots. I regretted that upgrade.
The D3s was the best of the 's' models as far as being noticeably better than the D3
If you can save enough money it would be worth getting the d4.
Are you looking on fm ?
Thanks for your perspective Randy. A retired Combat Camera buddy of mine shot with a D3s and liked it. I shot with his other camera, a D3, while still in the Navy and I liked using it in the 4x5 format and thought it was a good camera overall. Where I bought my D4s was on KEH.

R/
Dave

D4 prices have dropped big time, especially with the D6 coming soon. I had the D3S, but I found the D750 actually focused better in low light. I'm also considering other options too, maybe a D850, but I miss the pro built cameras of the D series!

The answer is probably to Hire a D4s and try it in the new opportunity?

When the D5 came out, I hired one and for my work, it really gave nothing over the bodies I have, for the work I do.
So I skipped D5. Indeed I did that with the 4 series as well.
I used to love my D2x and would probably one day get another, just for the iso 100 shots. I look at some of my old Wedding images taken on the d2x and they still easily hold their own.
High iso is of course subjective, when the d700 came out we did some side by side wedding test prints (12 x 18) at various iso settings and compared to my D2hs, the vast majority of customers liked the d2hs prints to iso 800 over the D700! So how high do you need your Iso to be?
Im happy using the d7200, D750 and D3s to iso 6400.

The answer is probably to Hire a D4s and try it in the new opportunity?

When the D5 came out, I hired one and for my work, it really gave nothing over the bodies I have, for the work I do.
So I skipped D5. Indeed I did that with the 4 series as well.
I used to love my D2x and would probably one day get another, just for the iso 100 shots. I look at some of my old Wedding images taken on the d2x and they still easily hold their own.
High iso is of course subjective, when the d700 came out we did some side by side wedding test prints (12 x 18) at various iso settings and compared to my D2hs, the vast majority of customers liked the d2hs prints to iso 800 over the D700! So how high do you need your Iso to be?
Im happy using the d7200, D750 and D3s to iso 6400.
I hadn’t thought about renting a camera before trying it. Maybe next time. I love the D2xs at ISO 100. Not so much at 800 or even 1600 unless there is enough ambient light. My hope is to cap my high end ISO at about 3200. For the new opportunity, I don’t feel I’d need anything higher than that. Thanks for sharing Simon.

R/
Dave

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom