D2Xs vs. D2Hs

B

Brandon Mizar

Right now I have two D2Xs cameras and I love them but for low light I do not like them at all. I try to stay under ISO 800 at all times.

I have heard that the D2Hs handles noise a lot better than the Xs. I shoot a lot of weddings and receptions get pretty dark. So I could really use the low noise ability.

Would you rather keep the two D2Xs cameras or sell one and get a D2Hs and with the extra cash get some more lenses or lighting equipment?

I think if you don't crop much that D2HS and D2XS combo is perfect. :smile:

As for me... I don't think I have ever taken a digital picture that I didn't crop at least a little bit. I have a D2XS and D200 (for when I don't feel like carrying the Big Boy).

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Brandon Mizar

I don't want to have to switch back and forth between two different body style and different menu setups. I want a fluid transition.

Brandon,

My experience, which includes no rigorous measurements, is that the D2Hs is at least a stop better with regard to noise. I base this opinion on several thousand shots taken with an X a couple of months ago, and about 12K shots with my Hs recently.

This isn't saying that the Hs is a better wedding cam than the X, because I'm no wedding shooter. WRT noise however, I believe that the Hs is significantly better.

I've never shot an X, but I love my Hs to death. Love it at ISO 1600, love the buttery smooth ISO 200 and everything in between. I also love how fast and easy it is to work with the small files.

M

Michael Mohrmann

I've never shot an X, but I love my Hs to death. Love it at ISO 1600, love the buttery smooth ISO 200 and everything in between. I also love how fast and easy it is to work with the small files.
Arrrgggghh! Not what I wanted to read. I had pretty much settled on a D200 and S5 combination, letting the S5 handle my high ISO (800-1600) photos. Now you have me thinking about a D2Hs and D200 combination once again. I just wish one of those magical deals on NikonCafe would show up again (like the D2Hs that sold for $1900 last month).

Brandon,

Currently I have D2Xs, D2X, D2Hs, & a D200. My most used camera is a battle between the D2Xs and D2Hs. The D2X never gets used any more and needs to find a new home. The D200 is the perfect small camera and fits right in between.

My suggestion is Sell a D2Xs and get a D2Hs and D200 with the money. The D2Xs, D2Hs, and D200 is the perfect threesome and adds up to about the same price as 2 D2Xs bodies.

The way I work is the D2Hs usually gets my longest lens, like the 70-200VR, the D2Xs gets the 17-55DX, and the D200 might have a 10.5 on it....or can be 17-55/70-200/300VR if I am shooting sports. If I am doing low light it's 28 1.4 alternating with the 85 1.4 on the D2Hs and nothing else comes close.

You will also love the D2Hs as it has more saturation and the prints come out with much more depth. The LB-Cast sensor is simply one of Nikon's best achievements ever.

GenoP

Glen Brewer - Ferrier
Nikon D2Hs ,Nikkor 28mm f/1.4D AF
1/350s f/2.8 at 28.0mm iso400
original.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

D

DW Brewer

I cannot render an opinion about the D2Xs as I do not have one. However, I image with both the D2X and the D2Hs and I consider this combination to be ideal for my type of imaging (95+% nature). I have alll the pixels I need with the D2X, and the speed, low light, and high ISO performance I need with the D2Hs. With both cameras I have enlargements as large as 18x24.
I do not image weddings, but one of my mentors - a professional photographer with whom I have imaged for the past 3+ years - used to use a D2Hs for his wedding work. He has gone through several imaging systems over the past few years. As I remember it, his only complaint with the D2Hs was some lack of facial detail in large group images, otherwise he loved the camera. When I got my D2Hs in January, this year, he cast longing glances at it and exclaimed he wished he still had his.

Right now I have two D2Xs cameras and I love them but for low light I do not like them at all. I try to stay under ISO 800 at all times.

I have heard that the D2Hs handles noise a lot better than the Xs. I shoot a lot of weddings and receptions get pretty dark. So I could really use the low noise ability.

Would you rather keep the two D2Xs cameras or sell one and get a D2Hs and with the extra cash get some more lenses or lighting equipment?

To be honest i would wait, if you can, till later this year. I think we'll see a D3h announcement in September, with a large pixel count, fast frame rate and excellent high noise handling, as for pixel count, in order to keep the D2xs current then i would guess at 10MP.

To be honest i would wait, if you can, till later this year. I think we'll see a D3h announcement in September, with a large pixel count, fast frame rate and excellent high noise handling, as for pixel count, in order to keep the D2xs current then i would guess at 10MP.

This what I am doing, waiting for the D3H, but only if it has the same button layout and menu as my D2X. I hear the OP as well as not wanting to use a D50 and have to learn a second set of commands. It is a headache, I know, I have the D2x and D50. Now, as far as low-light jpegs are concerned, the little D50 is a sweet camera, but unfortunately it isn't quick enough acquiring focus and locking and high speed FPS. This is its downfall, but hey, look at the price. I have toyed with the idea of a D2hs, but I am waiting for a few more clients that need me to own one, then if the D3h is a let down as far as specs are concerned or the camera is too pricey, then D2hs it is!

This what I am doing, waiting for the D3H, but only if it has the same button layout and menu as my D2X. I hear the OP as well as not wanting to use a D50 and have to learn a second set of commands. It is a headache, I know, I have the D2x and D50. Now, as far as low-light jpegs are concerned, the little D50 is a sweet camera, but unfortunately it isn't quick enough acquiring focus and locking and high speed FPS. This is its downfall, but hey, look at the price. I have toyed with the idea of a D2hs, but I am waiting for a few more clients that need me to own one, then if the D3h is a let down as far as specs are concerned or the camera is too pricey, then D2hs it is!

Well i will be selling my D2hs for a D3h. While i have heard nothing reliable about the D3h i am sure the body shape and button layout will be very similar.

I wanted to sell my D2hs to get a D2xs, but given its almost a dead cert that Nikon will annoucne a D3h its just not worth the move. Either way the D3h will have to equal or better the EOS MK III so it gives us all an idea of what Nikon may have lined up.

Just got to play the waiting game.....again!

Well i will be selling my D2hs for a D3h. While i have heard nothing reliable about the D3h i am sure the body shape and button layout will be very similar.

I wanted to sell my D2hs to get a D2xs, but given its almost a dead cert that Nikon will annoucne a D3h its just not worth the move. Either way the D3h will have to equal or better the EOS MK III so it gives us all an idea of what Nikon may have lined up.

Just got to play the waiting game.....again!

Yes, we all do it with our computers, so why not with the cameras? Hmmm, maybe a D3h, but I may even wait for the D3hs. :biggrin:

Here is a ...

Here is a re-post from a long ago (a few months) test I did with the D2Hs ISO... All I can tell you is that the prints from the D2Hs are way better and sharper than the prints from the D70s.... And I am talking prints of cropped pictures in an 11x14" format, large prints. I'd go for a D2Hs in a sec again (will keep mine for a long time) but I can't speak for the D2Xs.

D2Hs totally unscientific High ISO experiment

Cropped but not re-sized, taken from my couch, all hand held with the 85/1.4, I have way too much free time and do not sleep nearly enough...

I was simply trying different settings ISO 200 to ISO 6400 equivalent ... (Yes that's a mustard yellow wall, still have yet to paint this room, one wall came in this color in the apartment... I kid you not.)

At ISO 200 ambient light (incandescent... books sitting on top of a dresser) f/1.4 of course... 1/10 of a second exposure

atest200.gif

At ISO 800 = 1/45 sec... If ya ask me, not much of a difference between 200 and 800 hence I skipped a whole bunch of steps... Awesome, just awesome!

View attachment 94944

... ISO 1000 = 1/60 sec, same light same aperture but gaining in speed fast and pretty good results noise wise so far, excellent for speed! love it!

View attachment 94945

... ISO 1600 = 1/90 sec wow! :eek: Still low noise to me, good for indoor sports and night time city shooting

View attachment 94946

... ISO 3200 equivalent (HI-1 ISO setting which translates to one step over 1600...) = 1/180 second exposure... Wowser but starts getting noisier, yet still usable IMHO if you need to.

View attachment 94947

and last but not least ISO 6400 equivalent (HI-2 ISO setting which translates to two steps over 1600, whatever that means...) = 1/350 sec, hypersonic fast but freaky noisy as well.

View attachment 94948

Not too shabby up to ISO 1600 after which ya gotta need it to use it. Resized image taken at ISO 1600.

View attachment 94949

the ISO 6400 resized.

View attachment 94950

Last edited by a moderator:
Not always, but sometimes you can get a fairly usable 1600 ISO shot from the D2HS.

152733671-O.jpg

And the high ISO shots definitely do look much better when printed than when viewed on a monitor.

Latest threads

Top Bottom