D3 & 180 'round the turn

Took this the other day with my new D3 & 'old' 180 2.8. Overcast sky, but trying to get a bit more pop into my pics converting with ACR. Let me know what you think about the color, etc.

Thanks, Mike

Click on image for larger view

_DSC0344.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

same race, second time around

_DSC0345.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Color, contrast on the subject liiks great. I suggest what you may be seeing that distracts from the subject is the busy background. Agree with Trench, Get closer (not a good idea, the trotters can damage your Nikon) or open the lens to remove that clutter.

Trotters?? But they're pacing!!! :tongue:

The f/2.8 would help with background, but most if you'll probably have to live with. That said, it's not horribly distracting. I think the color is good, and you've captured the action nicely. :smile:

Thank you all for the feedback

Just seems that the images are lacking pop. Kinda bland. I am going to try a Circular Polarizer next time.

mike

S

Spydweb

They look good to me, the colors look fine for a overcast day..

I think they look pretty good, but adding some contrast might help a bit.

I don't think opening up to 2.8 would make a whole lot of difference with that background.

Sometimes I bump te saturation a little and increase the blackpoint a bit more than I normally might and that seems to give me the 'pop' you're wanting I think. Just experiment. Be careful though as it's easy to induce noise.

Just seems that the images are lacking pop. Kinda bland. I am going to try a Circular Polarizer next time.

mike

Hi Mike,

Congrats on the D3; Nice shots, as usual!:smile:

I can see how the background is 'clearer' than many would like it, which is limiting subject isolation. I'm also noting how your 180mm at F/4 produces depth of field far greater than you (we?) are used to with the D300.

I believe getting closer to the horses (generically, the subject) will help to throw the background more out of focus.

Funny, after admiring your shots, the second thing I noted was the verticals are not vertical!:wink:

Either way, the presentation works well. NICE.

Best,

scy, Mike, cameraguy, Intrepid

My polarizers are collecting dust. I guess I am overruled, but I am just wondering if a CP might make waste of some of the haze(is it haze?) behind the horses.

More contrast, OK. One thing I am absolutely sure of is that I will have more liberty to push shadows with the D3. These files are super noise free at low ISO.

Intrepid, the track at Goshen slopes and then goes higher.....the uneven verticals are not the shooter's fault:biggrin:

Belmot this week?

mike

N

Nuteshack

u don't need a filter ...just jack the contrast, etc .....don't be afraid to beat up these files some ...they're super flexible!!!

..i generally don't do this and will take it down if it offends ...nice shot btw...;-)))
2647212049_8b7d63c308_o.png

>snip< Intrepid, the track at Goshen slopes and then goes higher.....the uneven verticals are not the shooter's fault :biggrin:

Belmont this week?

mike

Yeah yeah, the Goshen track slopes, and the verticals aren't vertical... :biggrin:

Belmont Thursday 7/10/08: Races 2, 3, 4, 5 on Dirt :biggrin::biggrin:

Snappy, Nute

u don't need a filter ...just jack the contrast, etc .....don't be afraid to beat up these files some ...they're super flexible!!!

..i generally don't do this and will take it down if it offends ...nice shot btw...;-)))

Perhaps an under-the-rail vantage point... like thru the gate at the Belmont fire hydrant... :redface:

BTW, as an APS-C shooter, the 50-150mm f/2.8 is Very Good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hey nute, it doesn't offend me at all, thanks. But hey, I took these shots during daylight hours, it wasn't evening races with the lights on...man those shade have to go:eek:

N

Nuteshack

Hey nute, it doesn't offend me at all, thanks. But hey, I took these shots during daylight hours, it wasn't evening races with the lights on...man those shade have to go:eek:

lol Mike ...and hey, i'm really really happy for u on the d3 ...best camera on the planet, imho....;-)))

R

RichNY

Mike- Try using NX and posting it in that 'Nikon Color' we were talking about to see what others think.

Latest threads

Top Bottom