1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D3 + 300/4 + 1.4 TC + 36MM Tube

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Randy, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    just got the tubes and went out in the BY for some testing.
    AF is a problem as it is very jumpy (in and out)...I will probably start MFing

These are shot handheld in MP 1/640, f10, auto iso (some iso > 2500) minor cropping since i was so close.

Overall 1st impression: for $169 (and free ship at b&h) it got me alot closer and IQ seems to hold up fine. I've only tried 1 tube (the biggest) and even with the 300 & TC it was sturdy enough (I still held the lens with left hand for support). Alot more testing will be necessary and I'm ready.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    The last one rocks!

3. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    thanks...
    i'm not crazy about any of them but compositionally only...
    damn mosquitos are so bad in my yard i couldn't stat out long enough to try more bees on flowers
    I think I'll go to the botanical gardens in the AM and give this setup a real world test

4. I agree that the last one is the best. The bokehs are outstanding. I have tried similar experimenting with tubes and find them to be very useful by reducing the minimum lens to subject distance.

5. Randy,

Wonderful shots. I just purchased some tubes from a fellow member here (which should arrive this week)......if I can get close to your results in IQ I'll be thrilled.

Thanks for posting these.

Ted

6. this is me

this is me

Feb 10, 2007
    MA
    Randy,
    I'm eager to see what you can do with this combo when you use it right with your tripod.
    This is my other option in my quest for a long-range macro/semi-macro lens on fx.

7. Great shots Randy. Could you give an impression on the subject distance?

8. An awesome set Randy, but the last shot is tops. As you are obviously doing, I'm loving my D3.

9. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    thx Kees

still several feet away, maybe 4 if i had to guess....
    i'd say approx 1/2 the distance closer than w/o the tube

10. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    thx Louie
    the d3 is frankly ridiiculous the way it can take a crop at iso2500 and not show noise...it's made for this stuff....
    if it wasn't for my disapointment w/ the d300 at iso-s over 1200 i would have stayed w/ the d300 for marco-s and not needed the tubes or the 300/4 + TC (of course I already had them)

11. Randy,
    those are text book sharp! Excellent work, its just downright spooky. How does he do it folks?
    Kevin P.

12. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    i will try the tripod next week but i don't think i could use it alot....i like to walk the gardens and hunt for stuff and not sit and wait but i am curious to try it....i'll prob try the 'mirror up mode' since i don't have a remote cable yet

13. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    thx Kevin

14. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    thx...the 300/4 even at f10 does a nice job on the BG

thx Ted...I may try them on other lenses and not for macros but just to get closer....like when I do headshots at a soccer game or team shots

15. spoot

spoot

Aug 29, 2007
    Vancouver
    Nice Randy! I like the butterfly one a lot. Looks like you have a bit of dust, see the bottom left of a couple of the pics.

16. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    thx Newt
    & th for seeing that little bunny...time for the rocket blower...i don't use the d3 that much so that is my 1st bunny...glad u caught it

17. Thanks for posting your samples Randy. They look like they could have come from my deck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.