D3 & 80-200af-s

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by carauction, Aug 25, 2008.

1. I had posted a few weeks ago that Nikon had very kindly offered to replace my non-repairable 80-200AF-D, with a refurbished 70-200VR. I asked if they might have an 80-200AF-S instead...and voila:smile:

I had an opportunity to try the lens a couple of weeks ago. Here are a couple of pics from this tank!

C&C much appreciated,

Mike

click on image for larger view

F 3.5
    _DSC1556.jpg

F2.8
    _DSC1548.jpg

2. lmatney

lmatney

Oct 25, 2007
    Goodyear, AZ
    It looks like the lens is working well Mike. I have the 80-200 SF-D also and it is probably my most used lens.

3. Do you know what it is that they could not fix? parts not available?

I say this because I am waiting to take delivery of an 80-200 f/2.8 AFS that I just purchased from a member here on the cafe. It is minty and has seen very low use so I don't expect to have any issues with the lens. I just can't afford the 70-200VR for the time being so I am hoping that I will not miss the VR. These pics by the way are rock solid!! Sharp, crisp and colors that pop. Congrats

4. One more (pic) same lens & body

C&C appreciated
    click on image for larger view

F11 & 1/320
    _DSC1577.jpg

5. Thanks Larry.

6. Thanks EdRod.

My 80-200AF-D would sometimes be sharp on the left side of the focus point, but soft on the right, esp. at 200mm.

Nikon said that they replaced a lens element, but could not get the lens back to factory specs. I am certain that there is more to the story, but that was all I got straight.

mike

7. Hello Mike.

Congrats, the 80-200 AF-S is in my opinion the best lens in this range. I used one for several years - and still regret that I sold it.

IQ is remarkably better than the 70-200 VR, especially wide open. The AF-speed is among the fastest I ever experienced.

Some vignetting occurs on both when using FX, the 80-200 and the 70-200, but not too bad, I think. But I'm still on DX, so this wasn't a problem for me (additionally, it's very easy to fix).

Have fun, regards,

Mattes

8. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    so you choose the 80-200 over the 70-200 ?
    if so why ?

9. Hi Randy

I had the opportunity to use a 70-200 for a short time. There was something about the IQ color-wise, that made me wanting more. My first impressions say that I like the color that this 80-200 produces.

Bokeh looks creamy. C/A seems very well controlled. Lens is sharp except maybe a bit soft at 2.8. I do notice vingnetting. The main thing for me is that it appears to be focusing on the money. I was ready to give up on achieving accurate focus on a tele- zoom, but this lens appears accurate with no need for any AF Fine Tune.

Gonna give my Sigma 150 another whirl at the ponies soon. The Sigma is worthwhile comparing with.

mike