1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D3: Am I doing something wrong?

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by MDJAK, Aug 16, 2008.

1. I changed a custom function so I don't have to press the button in order to use the exposure compensation dials.

However, unless I press the shutter button halfway down, the dials are inactive. This is a major inconvenience.

Am I nuts? Was my Canon the same way?

mark

2. 24 views and no reply. Okay, either my question is clear as mud and nobody understands what I'm asking, which is highly likely and for which I apologize, or no one who has viewed this has the answer yet, in which case I'll remain patient for a bit.

3. btg1

btg1

Jun 20, 2008
    USA
    Honestly I am not sure, but is it something to do with the shutter activating the meter thereby allowing the other functions? I know that was a real stretch, but you asked for an answer (oops you said "the answer" --- I don't believe I provided that! :frown: )

Have you checked out the manual? I am not even halfway into the D700 manual --- I wouldn't be too eager... but if that is your only option...

4. NPA2008

NPA2008

Apr 15, 2008
    USA
    What you experienced is the way that the D3 works. There are many page views and no response because everyone was thinking or hoping there might be a way to make the dials change values without pressing a button prior to rotation. You must press something to activate the dials. You cannot just rotate them and change values.

5. MikeA

MikeA

Aug 26, 2007
    Left coast, USA
    Assuming I have understood this thread correctly...

What of "Easy Exposure Compensation"? No button-press required. Just activate that setting in the menus. Then the dial alone adjusts EC.

If the D3 had not been designed that way -- if I'd had to press and hold a button before changing EC or press and release a button, then turn a dial -- I would have returned the thing. Given the location of the "+/-" button, that would have been massively inconvenient (and very bad design). Fortunately, the no-button-press option for exposure compensation is available.

6. After the camera has been at rest for a certain period of time (seconds), you have to half-way depress the shutter-release button to "wake up" the camera and have any function of any command dials or the multi-selctor. This applies to the main control dial for changing shutter speed in Shutter-Priority mode, the sub-control dial for changing aperture in Aperture Priority, either dial in Manual, the rear multi-selector for changing focus-point selection, and likely for EV changes, whether or not the "easy compensation" b4 option is on or off.

7. yes canon is the same (using 5d) - you have to get the meter working (1/2 press shutter) before the dial will change the exposure comp,.

edit,. the other way would be to put the camera in manual mode, then you can fiddle around with shutter / aperture (i.e. exposure comp) when the meter is inactive

8. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

don't have to do that with the d200,,,hmmmmmmmmm

9. Hi,

the way the camera reacts can be modified by the user.

I have the exposure correction (Plus / Minus) on the front dial when working with in A-mode.

You can set whether you want to use the Plus/Minus-button and use the dial, or to use the dial alone. I prefer the latter, because I can shift the exposure setting without taking the camera from the eye.

Regards

Mattes

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.