1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D3 and 80-400 - AF speed improved ?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Chris Fabbri, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Chris Fabbri

Chris Fabbri

Aug 6, 2008
    Brazil
    Hi all

Making some final decisions on lenses.

If someone has 80-400VR with D3, please I will appreciate any advise to know if AF speed is better with D3 than for example with a D200 (I used this combo in the past).

Any improvements on locking and servo ?

Thanks a lot.

2. It's a tad faster, but still a slow lens. The plus side though, I find the lens to work really well on the D3 and find the image quality stop down to be very sharp.

3. johnmh

johnmh

Nov 21, 2007
    Greater NYC
    More reports on a new and improved 80-400 this fall with AF-S.........

Picked up a Sigma 150-500 as a long 'carry lens' for my last trip - was worth having but would've preferred an 80-400...... thinking the 16-85 VR and 80-400 make for a great trek combo.

4. Chris Fabbri

Chris Fabbri

Aug 6, 2008
    Brazil
    Thanks Jonathan, good to know it still slow...
    My other option walks to a 300 F4 AFS with 1.4xTC....

5. Chris Fabbri

Chris Fabbri

Aug 6, 2008
    Brazil

Thanks John.
    Any problem with 150-500 regarding image quality or other issue if compared with 80-400 ?
    This can be an option if delivers good quality until Nikon launchs a new 80-400.... anyway, I am preferring image quality and maximum reach at this time instead zoom flexibility.
    Anyway, I had a 80-400 at the D200 times and like the lens a lot besides the slowwww AF on D200.

Thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.