D3 and f/1.4 glass samples please

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by timkoo, Jul 10, 2008.

1. timkoo

timkoo

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago
    With all this fx hype going on i'm getting really curious about how different the dof and bokeh is at 1.4 on full frame

Please post D3 samples taken with 1.4 primes wide open!

Thanks in advance :biggrin:

2. ok,
    you asked for it ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

couple with D3 and 85mm f/1.4 wide open

3. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Wauw, I must say.... let´s se more, please.

This is 3D.

4. Just a snapshot to try out the D3/85.1.4 combination. I hope it helps:

326898121_mLzvm-XL.jpg

5. [​IMG]

All my others are with D300 (as only had D3 for a week and OTHER shots are "contractual" so cannot show yet :( sorry).

6. kiskaprince

kiskaprince

Mar 30, 2008
    canada
    Maybe We should post settings too?
    Thank you

7. Darn, gonna want me to take the images for you next, roflmao, just kiddin'

#1 D3 85 f/1.4 ISO200 1/8000 at f/1.4 no flash

#2 D3 85 f/1.4 ISO200 1/3200 at f/1.4 no flash

#3 D3 85 f/1.4 ISO200 1/6400 at f/1.4 no flash

:biggrin:

8. timkoo

timkoo

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago
    Great shots!
    D700 lust is certainly growing :X
    let's keep em coming

9. Wow, those may have sold not only a few lenses but also a few FX bodies. :) Nice work.

10. The 85 truly is an AMAZING piece of glass. It takes some getting used to (is like a cross between scalpel and laser beam wide open) and I freely admit f'ing up some when first getting it.
    As for FX. I did'nt realise just HOW good the D3 was going to be!!!!
    Now, I only just bought it. Why when a D700 is around corner? Simply this, Nikon would NOT make a mini-D3 for $2,000 less! It would be bussiness suicide! I care not what reviews/specs say, the D700 cannot be a D3 in smaller body I am 101% certain. That said, I still love my D300 so a body between that and a D3 is sure to be amazing in it's own right!

11. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Thank you for sharing those photos - I love nr. 1) and 2) - simply marvellous.

--

I do not agree, that D700 could not be a D3 in a small body.

The D3.s prices have fallen - a lot, and the price difference is only about 1000 dollars (5-550 english pounds) without the grip, and the features, that the D3 have over the D700 will always be wanted by pro-sports-shooters and PJ.s.

I expect the D700 to have 100 or 99.9 % IQ and iso-performance as the D3.

But we will know for certain, when we se the test/review from Bjørn Rørslett.

12. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    now that's not fair
    where's Nute

13. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

"the D700 cannot be a D3 in smaller body I am 101% certain" ...turn that into a mantra, say it fast 1,000 times then click both heels and you'll end up in Kansas (((NOT))) ...ROTFL!

the new d70 owners were cryin the same bs when nikon rolled out the d50 (a better file in both raw and jpeg). odds are the d700 will give u a better file and for a lot less $.
    :Love:

14. Steinar I fully respect your opinion, I just do NOT see a company like Nikon putting out essentially the same thing but argueably "in a more manageable package" for so much less.
    Indeed we will see once they have been out for awhile. But I will maintain even if they are so similar that I believe Nikon made a marketing mistake :)

15. Good on ya all :)

I stand by it being a bussiness mistake :)

Many simply will not buy $2,000 more for a D3 is all I think (thats if D700 is about $2,000 cheaper right?).

Personally I could'nt care less :) I am MORE than happy with all my gear. Just the ethos of it escapes me y'know? Just cannot work out the stratergy here, thats all :)

I am not now nor will be "cryin" I bought my D3 AFTER the D700 was unveiled. I just cannot see their (Nikon) plan is all.

Then again, what do I know right?

16. I believe the AF motor drive is far better on th D3 than D700 as well as ergonomics and dual card slots! I am convinced that the D700 doesn't come close to the D3.
    The difference in comparison is like the F5 vs the F100.
    I have both F5 and F100. I also have the D300 with grip.
    I will not settle for a D700 but rather save up for the D3.
    Simple as that folks.:biggrin:

17. Now lets see some more D3 and 1.4 combos.

18. I don't get why everyone wants to speculate on Nikons marketing strategies. :confused:

But since you all are doing so, I'll add my speculations and assumptions. :biggrin:

Common sense tells me the more DSLR's they sale, the more lenses and accessories they'll sale; the more money they'll make. This is what they're in business to do; sale products to make money.

For a semi-pro FX priced $2,000 less than the pro D3, they'll easily sale two to one over a D3 I would suspect. That'll more than make up for the price differences combined with lenses and accessories sales.

This will also stop folks from trickling over to Canon to get an affordable FX like their 5D and to stick with Nikon.

Yes, if Canon has already done it for so long, why do you think Nikon wouldn't put an affordable FX with D3 performance out to compete and draw more sales back to Nikon? :confused:

Great photos, BTW! I want a 85mm 1.4 bad! :smile:

19. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Not only is your subject smoking, the pictures are incredible. :biggrin: