1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D3 and older glass

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by RKnecht, Aug 8, 2008.

1. I really want a 14-24 or 24-70 for my D3. However, my funds are being reserved for a 500VR. So, on a recent trip to Maine, I decided to bring along an OLD AF Nikor 35-70 3.3/4.5 to supplement the 50 1.8. I bought this lens when we got married in Hawaii in August of 1989. I took the D3/35-70 combo with me to dinner one night, and here is a sample of what I got. To say that I am shocked is an understatement. The D3 bought new life to a lens I haven't used in 10+ years!! Anyone else finding that their D3 likes older glass?

347520388_EuYfb-XL.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Sweet one, Rich! Being new to the club I don't have any "older" glass...
    but I'm pretty sure an old coke bottle on the D3 could produce decent images. :biggrin:

3. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Rich: Very nice capture. Iv been banging that monkey since I got my D3.(Jim Rome inside joke). Nikkor AIS loves the D3, and vice versa. Maby now you can foget about buying that new 500 VR , pick up a used Nikkor 500 F4 P and take your wife back to Hawaii:wink:. On second thought dont.:smile:. Since replacing my Nikkor AIS 8 2.8 Fish-eye last week. The classic Nikkor 500 F4P is swinging in the batters box, right after a Noct:biggrin:. And strange as it sounds the word is getting out:tongue:. try and buy a Nikkor telephoto over 200 mm at www.keh.com. There out:eek: . How did that happen:redface:

Gregory

4. Rich great shot..

I just picked up a d700 and could not figure out why some lenses produce better IQ on the d700 than the d300...

5. A camera with a finer pixel pitch will demand far more in terms of performance from a given lens that a similar camera with a larger pitch. Canon users moving from the 5D to the 21MP 1Ds3 have the same issue. Lenses, even spendy alternative units, that spanked on the 5D don't quite look as snappy on the much higher pixel-count (same sensor size) 1Ds3.

If anyone is interested, the March 2008 issue of French Magazine Chasseur d'Images or CDI (very well respected for their star-based lens tests/recommendations) went thru a large a number of Nikon Ai/S lenses and rated them when used on both the D300 and D3.

6. that is a beautiful shot
    i'm glad that you tried the lens on the D3
    i like this one a lot

7. adaml

adaml

Feb 21, 2006
    chicago
    My 28-70 and 17-35 came out of hibernation when I got the D3.

The results have been fantastic and I see no reason to pick up any of the new glass.

8. would it be safe to say that the d700 loves older wo..glass as well? :biggrin:

9. That Evinrude looks to be older than your lens and by a considerable margin! Nicely done!

10. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Yup, my Nikon 50mm E lens is super-sharp on the D3.

11. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

how cool is this? nice shot!

12. Brodman

Brodman

Aug 26, 2007
    Knoxville, TN
    Monkey, Monkey, Monkey. Couldn't let that one go.:biggrin:

Nice capture Rich.

13. Any chances of posting a link or do you have to buy the mag.

Gene

14. That's a beautiful shot.....the new lenses doesn't have much over that old one.

15. Thanks for all the comments. I think that I need to use this combo a bit more to see what else I can capture with it. AF speed is reasonable. Not lightning fast, but what can I expect from an almost 20 year old lens?! The shot looks even better when viewed at 100% on my 24" monitor. I think it is going to find a home on the wall of my office.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.