D3 and older glass

I really want a 14-24 or 24-70 for my D3. However, my funds are being reserved for a 500VR. So, on a recent trip to Maine, I decided to bring along an OLD AF Nikor 35-70 3.3/4.5 to supplement the 50 1.8. I bought this lens when we got married in Hawaii in August of 1989. I took the D3/35-70 combo with me to dinner one night, and here is a sample of what I got. To say that I am shocked is an understatement. The D3 bought new life to a lens I haven't used in 10+ years!! Anyone else finding that their D3 likes older glass?

347520388_EuYfb-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Rich: Very nice capture. Iv been banging that monkey since I got my D3.(Jim Rome inside joke). Nikkor AIS loves the D3, and vice versa. Maby now you can foget about buying that new 500 VR , pick up a used Nikkor 500 F4 P and take your wife back to Hawaii:wink:. On second thought dont.:smile:. Since replacing my Nikkor AIS 8 2.8 Fish-eye last week. The classic Nikkor 500 F4P is swinging in the batters box, right after a Noct:biggrin:. And strange as it sounds the word is getting out:tongue:. try and buy a Nikkor telephoto over 200 mm at www.keh.com. There out:eek:. How did that happen:redface:

Gregory

A camera with a finer pixel pitch will demand far more in terms of performance from a given lens that a similar camera with a larger pitch. Canon users moving from the 5D to the 21MP 1Ds3 have the same issue. Lenses, even spendy alternative units, that spanked on the 5D don't quite look as snappy on the much higher pixel-count (same sensor size) 1Ds3.

If anyone is interested, the March 2008 issue of French Magazine Chasseur d'Images or CDI (very well respected for their star-based lens tests/recommendations) went thru a large a number of Nikon Ai/S lenses and rated them when used on both the D300 and D3.

My 28-70 and 17-35 came out of hibernation when I got the D3.

The results have been fantastic and I see no reason to pick up any of the new glass.

A camera with a finer pixel pitch will demand far more in terms of performance from a given lens that a similar camera with a larger pitch. Canon users moving from the 5D to the 21MP 1Ds3 have the same issue. Lenses, even spendy alternative units, that spanked on the 5D don't quite look as snappy on the much higher pixel-count (same sensor size) 1Ds3.

If anyone is interested, the March 2008 issue of French Magazine Chasseur d'Images or CDI (very well respected for their star-based lens tests/recommendations) went thru a large a number of Nikon Ai/S lenses and rated them when used on both the D300 and D3.

Any chances of posting a link or do you have to buy the mag.

Gene

Thanks for all the comments. I think that I need to use this combo a bit more to see what else I can capture with it. AF speed is reasonable. Not lightning fast, but what can I expect from an almost 20 year old lens?! The shot looks even better when viewed at 100% on my 24" monitor. I think it is going to find a home on the wall of my office.

Latest threads

Top Bottom