1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D3 and SI cover shot

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by bvonarx, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Yeah I saw that in the thread on SportsShooter too, and did you see he shot it at ISO3200?!! :eek: 

If you want the cover of SI then you gotta play with the big boys. If you want shots inside of ESPN the mag then you do what I do! HA! :biggrin:
    BTW, MLB Insider, pg 94.

2. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    one of the students at Bootcamp was assisting that photographer that day he was excited about the cover -I think he is the one who started the thread, Octavian

3. That's an awesome shot!

4. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Congrat's! Great Shot. It's amazing that such a significant crop held up so beautifully at ISO 3200. What a terrific camera (and photographer).

5. jStat

jStat

Dec 11, 2007
    Janesville, WI
    That's sick. Just sick.

6. Do you have to be a sports PJ to join sportshooter.com? Can you just be a regular working photographer? I'm always lurking there, but I don't really shoot sports, but I would be interested in joining.

7. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    checkout the sticky up top here by Frank

Its mainly for sports shooters, you can do an unassisted join but not likely to be succesful, so, you really need a senior member to sponsor you.

8. awesome shot
    i enjoyed the blog as well
    thanks for the thread and link

9. yeah, I like his blog, he has some nice stuff.

10. bonnerkopf

bonnerkopf

Nov 16, 2007
    canada
    Does anyone know how much SI pays for shots like that, or other shots? Is there a rate card somewhere, or is it market and specific event driven?

Thanks.

11. There are two ways to define "paying" for that shot. If they get it from a staff 'tog, if it comes from another source, or the AP. If it's AP then the rate is very small, if it's a staff 'tog then it's paid for by them being on staff, if it's from another source then I've heard that it could pay upwards of $5000 for the cover. The rate changes of course based upon the event and the subject.

12. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    I wouls say the overall profile/commercial gain of having an SI cover would far outweigh the payment for the photo ?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.