D3 Auto WB

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by jfrancis, Jul 6, 2008.

1. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    The D3's auto WB was apparently improved on the last firmware update.

The images below were shot in my office and are straight out of the camera. The mannikin head is in a closet, lit with overhead fluorescent lights, with some natural light entering the closet from the office window.

One image was shot using AWB - the other with a custom WB using an Expodisk. I don't have a pre-firmware update shot, but the point is that AWB is pretty darned good on this camera :biggrin:

326785052_6d7aS-M.

326785109_uzKcu-M.

2. John, as you may recall, I shot with the D2x before switching to Canon. Recently, I had the opportunity to shoot some portraits with the D3. I left it in AWB and was reminded just how nice it works on the D3. Sure saves time in pp as well.

3. john,
    great example
    nikon stated that the AWB would be improved with 2.00 firmware
    i was skeptical
    but....
    they weren't kidding

i have found the very same to be true
    thanks for the thread and example

4. Same Here.

5. I used the Expo Disk a lot on the D2Xs, but not to much with the 3. AWB is just alsome on 3. I do use Expo Disk where the lighting source is mixed. John's post is a case in point on the firmware upgrade. Thanks for the post John!

6. This is from Saturday, D3 with new firmware.

24-70 f/2.8 @ 70mm
    f/5.6
    1/100 sec.
    ISO 4000
    No Flash
    Spot metering
    Auto WB

This was a small church with fluorescent lightly and very dim.

No PP

2653182378_0c7e529a47_o.

7. I had a small shoot with a few photographers including another gentleman who owned a D3. I left mine on AWB as he continued to change his from flash and through various Kelvin settings. But, he kept looking at my LCD and commenting on how good my WB was and then finally asked what I had it set to. :eek: :tongue: He was stunned when I told him. I definitely don't worry about WB like I used to.

8. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I have to admit, I may have to go back to using AWB now - one less thing to worry about . . . . :biggrin:

Electroman - amazing image under the circumstances. The kind of shot that wouldn't have been possible before the D3 (at least not without significant PP).

9. True. This wedding season has been easy so far with less PP. The D3 is remarkable and has saved time in front of the computer.

10. The first thing I noticed when I bought the D3 was its AWB accuracy. They say with the new firmware that it is better. Wow. I did not think they could make a good thing even better. Well they did! The D3 never ceases to amaze me with its low light performance. Nikon has given us a winner.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.